Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

J A Malcolm, served in German East Africa Campain

corisande

OK hands up, I know very little about this campaign.

I am trying to find out about

Temp Capt John Alexander Malcolm

His MIC says he was MID in LG on 25/ 9 /1917

He had a DSO from Boer War where he had served first with Victorian Mounted Rifles, then with South African Constabulary.

angloboerwar.com gives

MALCOLM, JOHN ALEXANDER, Lieutenant, was born in 1872, son of J F Malcolm, of Victoria, Australia. He served in the South African War of 1899-1902. He was mentioned in Despatches; awarded the Medal, and created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]: "J A Malcolm, Lieutenant, South African Constabulary. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". Captain Malcolm married, in 1903, Mabel Jane, third daughter of Charles J Oertel, Abraham's Kraal, Orange River Colony.

His family have that

As per the obituary he organised a transport Service in the colonies to serve against the Germans. At one stage he led a mobile British Force of 75 men against the Germans in the Zambezi area and captured 323 Germans. He was promoted by General Northey to Major. In 1917 he was awarded the Croix de Guerre with palms by the French Government. We have this medal. Family rumour is that he was captured during WW1

As I understand it from the records, he served in the Great War with the 2nd (the witness does not add an adjective here) African Rifles in German East African Campaign and was awarded his Croix de Guerre there.

In the Boer War he started in the Victorian Mounted Rifles as a Corporal, he obtained a commission in 1901, and later served under Baden Powell in the South African Constabulary.

He died "practically destitute" in Prince Henrys Hospital on 11 Aug 1938

So with that lot, can anyone that knows tell

1. What battalion precisely he would have served in. I assume South African Rifles were nothing to do with Kings African Rifles

2. Where he campaigned from that snippet about the Zambezi. The Forgotten Front: The East African Campaign 1914-1918 is it a god read (apologies to author if they are reading this)

3. Could he have been taken prisoner and how can I check

Thanks for the Rootschat snippet, but the half the contributions are mine ;)

I will look up that book you mention on the Great War in Africa. Always amazes me the efforts that went on away from the Western Front, and scarcely ever get mentioned in "British History"

Corisande,

Well, can't win them all but as it had a lot on your subject thought it worth a mention. The book starts off on the West African campaign and once that

was over switched to East Africa and followed the campaigns to their logical conclusion. I can't imaging the privations that troops went through in this part of

the GW, and rather than a bullet or a shell getting you the main danger was disease.

David

rather than a bullet or a shell getting you the main danger was disease

Yes, I know more about the Salonika Campaign than this one, and certainly disease was the problem there.

I came across a bit about the Germans torturing prisoners in East Africa - any ideas as to whether this is "usual" propaganda or whether the practice was more prevalent in East Africa

Corisande,

If you Google 'WW1 East Africa' you will find a number of interesting articles on the war in that area which should prime you up for further reading on the subject.

Sufficient to say that the subject of torture is probably a story that is repeated wherever pow''s gather. From the way allied forces hounded Lt-col Paul Emil Von Lettow-Vorbeck

I would be surprised if the German side had time to do any dedicated torturing. There may have been isolated incidents, and more than likely against African troops, they

were not treated as we would in these times.

David

It was this sort of thing, and there a number of other references Sketches of the East Africa Campaign, by Robert Valentine Dolbey

The other day at Kissaki the Germans sent back ten of our white prisoners, infantry captured at Salaita Hill, Marines from the Goliath. All these weary months the Huns had dragged these wretched prisoners all over the country. And yet there are some who tell us that the German is not such a Hun here as he is in Europe. The fact is he is worse, if possible, inconceivably arrogant and cruel at first, incredibly anxious to conciliate our prisoners when the tide had turned and vengeance was upon him. Burning by fever by day, chilled by tropic dews at night, these poor devils had been harried and kicked and cursed and ill-used by Askaris and insulted by native porters all that long retreat from Moschi to Kissaki and beyond. No "machelas" for them if they were ill, no native hammocks to carry them on when their poor brains cried out against the malaria that struck them down in the noonday sun. Kicked along the road or left to die in the bush, these the only two alternatives. And the beasts were kinder than the Huns: they at least took not so long to kill. Forced to do coolie labour, to dig latrines for native soldiers, incredibly humiliating, such was their lot! Many of them died by the roadside. Many died for want of medicine. There was no lack of drugs for Germans, but there was need for economy where prisoners were concerned.

I have no idea which authors are seen to be "objecive" in this theatre

Corisande,

Well there's one writer who was not happy about POW treatment in East Africa, but I would wish to see further evidence about mistreatment

to emerge. One has to remember that German forces were virtually on the run for over a year and it is quite likely that they had no time or reason for

humane treatment of prisoners but just dragged them along as they moved from place to place.

David

Yes,

I do not disagree at all. As I said :-

"I have no idea which authors are seen to be "objective" in this theatre "

Feeling my way towards seeing what was going on. This is a bit like Burma in WW", the "forgotten army!"

Corisande,

I have this Command Paper;

(Cd 8306) Papers relating to the German Atrocities, and Breaches of the Rules of War, in Africa

It should be available on CD at TNA.

Doug

Thanks Doug

I'll add it to my list for my week in TNA in August -)

Thanks

Following that up I found this on the Cape Corps

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Corps

They appear to have been awarded battle honours for East Africa Campaign.

Thanks for that link to the 1st Battalion history - certainly a big volume. As you say he could have been 2nd battalion Cape Corps.

I am still working my way round South African Rifles, Kings African Rifles, Cqpe Corps, etc !

He transferred to the Cape Corp from the South African Rifles, 15/3/1917. He became Temp Capt instead of Capt on this date (LG 16/10/17).

On 26/3/17 became Temp Major.(note this correction to previous post).

Does not say if it was 1st or 2nd SAR

Roop

Relinquishes his commission (Temp Maj. J. A. Malcolm) upon ceasing to be employed with Union Impl Services retaining the rank of Major. LG 18/Jan 1919.

(Cape Corps)

Roop

The under mentioned are granted temporary rank whilst serving with the Nyasaland Field Force.

Lt J A Malcolm DSO, Sth Afr Rifles, 1st Sept 1916 (ILG 9/10/17)

Roop

Thanks very much. He certainly seems to have got around

(Safaris look good too)