Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Clothing Regs, INDIA, 1900 and later

Muerrisch

I very much need to learn more about Other Ranks' clothing in India. The Indian Government was unique in having its own budget for the Army, including British Units, so that British Regulations always exclude India.

Which is a great difficulty.

Is this the same thing?

"Army Regulations, India Vol VII - Dress" 1913

If so, I have a copy.

Only contains detailed clothing regs for officers.

Guys

I have a photo of Uncle Walter (Terry - ring a bell) on the north-west frontier circa 1907. Would you like me to post?

Regards

Andy

David,

I have the "Indian Regs, Clothing Regs" for ORs from I think 1913 or 14.

What do you specifically want to know?

Joe Sweeney

Terry, Joe, thank you. The word "Dress" usually means "Officers", so I will come back to Terry on that, thank you. Andy, yes please!

Joe, there will/should be several pages detailing issue tunics/frocks in scarlet and in white. There may be a dark blue frock. There will certainly be khaki drill frocks. These pages, scanned, would be most valuable, if that is not a huge task.

Also, the equivalent for headgear.

I am working on "Old Soldiers Never Die" by Frank Richards, and am handicapped by lack of India Clothing knowledge and nomenclature.

By the way, I have India Field Service Manual 1907, and Indian Field Service Regs, which has a lot of collateral on clothing and gear, your speciality Joe I believe.

Please feel free to e-mail if preferred.

David,

Will copy and let you know when ready to post.

The Volume I have is "Army Regulations, India Vol XI Clothing" corrected to 1 Feb 1914.

Quickly glancing over the tables and text you might be disappointed by the call-out of Frocks. Like the Home Clothing Regulations its more concerned with issue instructions than actual pattern descriptions. Frocks are described as Serge, Tartan, Cloth, Khaki and White. Frustrating. Only the band of the Viceroy wore Tunics.

I have copies of all the RACD pattern registry books from 1900 to 1921 and did not find reference to a specific Blue Frock that could be linked to wear by Infantry.

India had its own Pattern registry books which I'd love to get my hands on.

Joe Sweeney