Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Lt John Stanley Horsfall Shafto M.C

Guest J.Woodward

Guest J.Woodward

I was wondering if anyone could help with the above fellow. John Stanley Horsfall SHAFTO, a pupil at Truo School, was transferred from a training reserve to the 8th battalion of the Buffs 13th November 1915 - with seniority from 10th April 1915. He was gazetted M.C on 23rd June 1916, but was killed shortly afterwards on the 12th of August. My problem is for what was he awarded his M.C? The Buffs roll of Honour I have seen doesn't give him the award whilst the CWGC does. The London Gazette website (as spurious a search engine as ever!) produced the date of the award but no citation, anyone able to help?

Cheers Joe : :huh:

Guest J.Woodward

Sorry all, not quite sure what happened there, I seem to have posted this twice, my technological incompetance rushes to the fore once more! :(

Joe,

What was the date of the entry in the Gazette? Was it a Birthday/New Year honour? In this case there will often be no citation.

Rob

PS you may have to go through the war diary and hope that your man is mentioned as having done something special (or his company is) and that may be your only clue.

Guest J.Woodward

Rob, the M.C was gazetted on the 23rd June 1916, so probably not a New Years award. How about birthday honours - does the date fit?

Cheers

Joe

From Historical Records of The Buffs 1914 - 1919 by R S H Moody

Under the heading 8th Battalion 1916

P.156

The 4th June brought the birthday honour list; Lieut. C. Lindsay received the M.C., R.S.M. Brooker and Pte. Peet the D.C.M., Ptes. Buzzard and Hall the M.M., whilst 2nd Lieut. Shafto heard a week later that he also had the M.C.

He is listed in the Rewards section in the Appendix III on p.508

But he is not listed in the History of the Eighth Battalion 1914 - 1919 honours or rewards, neither is he listed in the officers who left to go overseas with this Battalion.

Regards

Andrew

Guest J.Woodward

Thanks Andrew, a great effort. My reason for asking is that my younger brother is at Truro (as was I, my uncle, grandfather and great grandfather) and needs the info for his A level project. Please excuse my ignorance but what is the rewards section in Appendix III on p.508? Sorry to bother you again

Cheers Joe

Joe

In the back of the book there are several appendices and these are the roll for those that were killed, rewards and honours, foreign rewards and honours, mentioned in despatches, mentioned for record and finally a list of the subscibers who donated money for the book to be produced.

The rewards and honours listed are:

V.C.

K.C.B.

C.B.

K.C.M.G.

C.M.G.

C.H.

C.B.E.

D.S.O.

O.B.E.

M.C.

D.C.M.

M.M.

M.S.M.

If I see any further information on 2nd Lt. Shafto I shall let you know, when does the project have to be in and what information does he need.

Regards

Andrew

Guest J.Woodward

Andrew,

He is applying to come here to Bristol to do History (a slim hope in the present climate!) and needs to show an interest in history outside of his A level course, in other words he needs to submit a piece of original research by the ned of May. He is trying to put together a roll of honour for the schools war dead, a task I have been able to help him with. Lt Shafto is the only member of the schools war dead researched thus far with a gallantry award and as a result Charles was hoping to be able to unearth a little more about him. Unfortunatley the citation date was all we have come up with at the moment, any help gratefully received!

Joe :D