Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

20th Canadian Battalion

rmtnuke

I wonder if anyone has any information about the 20th Canadian Battalion, Central Ontario Regiment, apart from the fine history by Major Corrigan? The reason I ask is that great-uncle Archibald Clement Thornton died in the early part of the war in the Dickebusch trenches in Belgium. The irony is that Archie was born and bred - like his three brothers - in England while his father was born in Hamburg, Germany. Archie was bright (he quit Cambridge University after a term) but instead he started a new life in Haldimand County, Canada, as a miner and a miller. He joined up 'to do his bit for Canada'. He died on 21 Nov 1915, having been blown up - he had his leg amputated before he succumbed. It seems, because of his knowledge of German, he was posted right to the front of the Canadian lines, to listen in to what the Germans were saying. I am looking for any account whatsoever of his death (the war diaries don't mention him by name). I have uncovered a couple of letters in Haldimand newspapers from comrades, in which they talk of sharing out some tobacco and food that had been sent to Archie just before he died. Archie and his older brother died and their other brother (my grandfather) went on to win the MC after fighting in The Somme, Ypres and in Italy. Anything at all anyone might have about the 20th Canadian Battalion and in particular info about the early days in France/Belgium would be great to hear about. Robin

You can find the scanned pages of the unit War Diary on the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) site:

Way Diary - 20th Canadian Infantry Battalion

It appears there are three sets of documents covering the Battalion War Diary and a small set of pages by the Medical Officer in 1914-15.

If you haven't already acquired it, you can also get Thornton's service file from the LAC.

Soldiers of the First World War (database)

Name: THORNTON, ARCHIBALD C

Regimental number(s): 57949

Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 9674 - 49

Date of Birth:11/11/1886

Attestation paper:

How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file

You can find the scanned pages of the unit War Diary on the Library and Archives Canada (LAC) site:

Way Diary - 20th Canadian Infantry Battalion

It appears there are three sets of documents covering the Battalion War Diary and a small set of pages by the Medical Officer in 1914-15.

If you haven't already acquired it, you can also get Thornton's service file from the LAC.

Soldiers of the First World War (database)

Name: THORNTON, ARCHIBALD C

Regimental number(s): 57949

Reference: RG 150, Accession 1992-93/166, Box 9674 - 49

Date of Birth:11/11/1886

Attestation paper:

How to consult a file on-site or order a copy of the complete file

Brilliant! I very much appreciate your help and advice. Regards, Robin Thornton