Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

10027 William Conrad NEWBOUND 1st Bedfordshires

Guest Ronnie101

Guest Ronnie101

William Conrad NEWBOUND, 1st Bedford Rgmt, 15th Brigade, 5th Division.

He enlisted into the Bedfords during the summer of 1912, probably July or early August.

He served in WW1 from 24th August 1914 to 18th April 1915 when he was taken to Ypres Dressing Hospital after an overhead shell burst on April 18th am after the Hill 60 episode.

After he had recovered from his wounds he was transferred as Sgt 22355 into the Royal Irish Fusiliers along with a large draft of other recovered Bedfords - probably late 1915. Some of them went into a Bn based in Salonika initially but not all. Finally, he moved as Sgt 44282 in the Bedfords again, probably at the end of 1916 or early in 1917. (Thanks, Steve Fuller for the info).

After the War, he became a CSM and we have a Sergeant's Mess photo taken in Colchester Barracks in 1922 where he is on the right hand side of the seated row (if I remember correctly).

After that, he went to Sandhurst and was posted to Ceylon (my knowledge is very vague, eventually he was a WO1 or even an RSM, I believe?) where my mother was born in 1930 and they returned to the UK in 1933.

Subsequently he helped in WW2 by training cadets in St Edmunds college in Hertfordshire, then afterwards bought a pub in Buntingford.

We also have a short 8mm cine film of when the Regiment was inspected at Kempston Barracks by the Queen Mother in (about) 1964-5. Any photos of the event would be gratefully received.

Assuming that it is correct that he was serving on and after Aug 1920, then you can get his service records from MOD information here

You will need a photocopy of his death cert and a cheque for £30 and then you wait for 6 months but they will arrive eventually

I assume that this man is a relation too

Name: Conrad Newbound

Given Initials: C W

Death Date: 31 May 1943

Number: 5832424

Birth Place: Hertfordshire

Residence: Hertfordshire

Branch at Enlistment: Infantry

Theatre of War: Malaya

Regiment at Death: Suffolk Regiment

Branch at Death: Infantry

Good luck with your quest.

"He enlisted into the Bedfords during the summer of 1912, probably July or early August."

10049 joined on the 2nd July 1912 and so I'd guess William probably joined around June that year.