Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1st Depot Bn Machine Gun Corps

LESLEY COPE

Can anyone please help me? I am trying to gather some information about my grandfather's army career.

Here is the information I know from two Army Character Certificates, one Discharge Certificate and one Certificate of Service -

Thomas Plant born 1897 in Stoke-on-Trent.

He enlisted in Mar 1914.

Char Cert dated Mar 1921 states that he transferred to Section B Army Reserve from the 1st Depot Bn Machine Gun Corps. 7yrs service

Char Cert dated Jun 1921 states that he transferred to Section B Army Reserve North Staffs Regiment from 3rd Res Bn MGC 60days service

Disch Cert dated Mar 1930 states that he was discharged from North Staffs Regiment after 7yrs with the Colours, 4yrs B Army Reserve and 4yrs D Army Reserve.

Cert of Service dated Oct 1934 states that he was discharged from Royal Army Service Corps after 4 yrs service in the Supplementary Reserve. There is also a line that say 'Discharged in consequence of Termination of Engagement Para 103(XVII) SRR

Could this be his Medal Index Card?

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2

Medal card of Plant, Thomas

Corps Regiment No Rank

North Staffordshire Regiment 10066 Private

Machine Gun Corps 20663 Lance Corporal

John

Thanks John for your fast reply but it's not him. I should have added in my details he was a Private and his no. 7808302

Lesley,

I think you have made a few errors.

Plant probably served from 1914 to 1921 with the North Staffordshire Regiment, and at some time being transferred to the MG Corps.

Then posted to the Depot, (total 7 years with colours, ie regular army.) and subsequently transferred to the army reserve.

The Service number 7808302 was issued in 1920, (all of the army was renumbered in 1920) replacing his original MG Corps number.

He would also have had an original North Staffordshire Number, before chaning to the MG corps.

So what John posted is probably correct, the numbers tally with dates.

As he serverd as a regularand or a reservist after 1921, his records will still be held my the M.O.D., so you will not find them on Ancestry or at the N.A., but you can apply to the Army records center for a copy.

Alan

Lesley,

I think you have made a few errors.

Plant probably served from 1914 to 1921 with the North Staffordshire Regiment, and at some time being transferred to the MG Corps.

Then posted to the Depot, (total 7 years with colours, ie regular army.) and subsequently transferred to the army reserve.

The Service number 7808302 was issued in 1920, (all of the army was renumbered in 1920) replacing his original MG Corps number.

He would also have had an original North Staffordshire Number, before chaning to the MG corps.

So what John posted is probably correct, the numbers tally with dates.

As he serverd as a regularand or a reservist after 1921, his records will still be held my the M.O.D., so you will not find them on Ancestry or at the N.A., but you can apply to the Army records center for a copy.

Alan

Thanks Alan, as you probably gathered I know zilch about the army, but am learning fast and find it very addictive. I will definately apply to Army Records.

Lesley