Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Scots Greys

terraheyez2k7

I think i have found my Great Grandfather in the 1911 census, serving with the Royal Scots Greys, which are a cavalry unit. I believe that he was of a lower working class, i have always presumed cavalary to be of a higher social class...If this is the case then it can't be him, is this just a misconception?

Many thanks, Shaun.

Hello Shaun,

I think your thoughts are correct when dealing with Officers. However, anyone was able to join in the ranks. You do seem to see a large number of soldiers in Cavalry regiments who already had experience with working with horses.

Regards,

Stewart

My Uncle,ex-Scots Greys, who was a Sergeant in 1918,became a Postman post-War.

George

He wasn't an officer. I knew he was in the army before the war, so i checked the 1911 census for guys in the army and i found him, right age and born in the same area. Which unusually is middlesex, london. I know he was in the army, because he's on the national roll of honour and it says "At the outbreak of war he was serving with his regiment, and was early in 1915 drafted to the western front." He was put in the middlesex regiment. Doesn't really add up....being in cavalry then serving in a normal regiment.

He was put in the middlesex regiment. Doesn't really add up....being in cavalry then serving in a normal regiment.

Nothing unusual in it at all, when the war developed into trench warfare, mounted troops who were intended for a War of manouvre became almost redundant on the Western front, as such many troopers were posted to Infantry Units, in campaigns like those in Mesopotamia, Egypt and Palestine, Cavalry Units were more likely to stay mounted, in some cases on Camels.

Sam

The RSG were in the 5th Cav Brigade with the 20th Hussars. Have you checked his Medal Index Card? Was he in the RSG in 1915 or already in the Middlesex? He may have been a reservist in 1914 or unfit for the difficult life in the cavalry (and it was hard going despite alternative views!) due to age or wear.

Well i've found a medal card for a William A Currie who was in the middlesex regiment. He served in france, according to the national roll he was in, Neuve chapelle, ypres, festubert, loos, the somme, the ancre and the retreat and advance in 1918, wounded in the advance and demobilised.

My Currie was definatly in the Middlesex regiment, it all fits, eg i've found some records of his father, living at the same place. The real question is where he was in 1911, all i know is he was in the army of some kind. Were soldiers over seas included in the 1911 census?

Were soldiers over seas included in the 1911 census?

YES, India for sure