Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cap badge or uniform identity help please

greatbeanbags

From the image posted can anyone please tell me if this young man is wearing an Army reserve uniform with cap badge? Thanks. :thumbsup:

Have posted the image as part of a topic in The Paraphernalia of War but no results. Hoping more will see & can confirm here!

post-51610-1273674225.jpg

Here's my goes;

1. Royal Engineers

or perhaps,

2. London Rifle Brigade

Thought that there may be a slight fold from the cap covering the top of the badge?

Thanks all for your observations.

To help perhaps?

I believe this is a early picture of my great uncle Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince (KIA at Varlet Farm near Passchendaele on 26.10.17 aged 19) whilst serving as an Able Seaman - R/609 in the Anson Bn. RNVR. He is not wearing an Anson Bn. cap badge hence my thoughts that it is an Army Reserve Badge & Uniform.

His Discharge Papers from the NA show:

Previous Service: Army Reserve

11.1.17 Attatched to 3rd Reserve Bn.

13.1.17 D.O/13 (3rd Res)

21.8.17 TF Anson Bn.

Surely the 3rd Reserve Bn. will be Army Reserve?.... or could it be a 3rd Reserve Bn. of one of the regiments mentioned by CT-Guards? The London Rifles might be right as he was a Suffolk lad - so could the Royal Engineers as he lists his employment was a Groom! However, neither regiment is named on his official Discharge Papers.

Clive

It rather looks like the badge of the Northamptonshire Regiment to me - not scratched out.

It rather looks like the badge of the Northamptonshire Regiment to me - not scratched out.

I'd concur and it would also fit with the curved shoulder titles. I can't see anything to suggest a Territorial shoulder title so they don't fit with either the RE or London Rifle Brigade.

Regards

Steve

I'd agree that it is probably the cap badge of the premier Regiment of the British Army :D (Yes, I did mean the Northamptonshire Regiment)

His RND Casualty Roll record notes:

Name: Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince

Service Branch: Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve

Unit: Anson Bn.

Death Date: 26 Oct 1917

Cause Of Death: Killed in action

Burial: Tyne Cot Memorial (MR 30)

Service History: Army Reserve 6/6/16 ; Entered 9/1/17 ; Draft for BEF 21/8/17, posted to Anson Bn. 10/9/17-26/10/17 DD.

Service Number: R/609

Notes: A Groom ; b.Monks Eleigh, Suffolk 13/5/1898 ; Next-of-Kin & home address: Father, Robert S., High St., Monks Eleigh, Suffolk.

I assume by "discharge papers" you mean the Documents Online Service record?

Description Name Vince, Sydney Rodney Cyril

Service Number(s): R/609

Rank or Rating: Ordinary Seaman, Able Seaman

Date of Birth: 13 May 1898

Catalogue reference ADM 339/2

Dept Records of the Admiralty, Naval Forces, Royal Marines, Coastguard, and related bodies

Series Admiralty and War Office: Royal Naval Division: Records of Service (Microfiche Copies)

Piece Ratings/other ranks (discharged dead)

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=1

Steve.

Thanks for all your thoughts on my man wearing a Northamptonshire Regiment Cap badge! Not so far from Suffolk so he could have been working there?

Why does his previous service before being transfered to the Anson. Bn RNVR show simply Army Reserve, 3rd Reserve Bn.? Could or should it have been Northampton Shire Regiment, Army Reserve, 3rd Reserve Bn. but not recorded like this on his Discharge Papers?

Stebie9173 thanks for all the RND info - I did purchase copy of his 'Discharge Papers' from the National Archives - presumably from their on line Service records. I also obtained info from the CWGC site. I do know a lot more about Sydney - if you visit The Paraphernalia of War section on this forum & go to Uniform & Cap badges Sydney's full story is currently the 4th topic from the top. There are images of his Tyne Cot memorial wall, possible grave, copy of a letter from the officer who survived the action where Sydney was killed with an account of his death plus a copy of the actual Bn. War diary account as well.

Clive