Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

17th Bavarian Res. Infantry at Fromelles, 19/07/16

BottsGreys

I know essentially where the 17th Bavarian Res. Regiment was located in the German front line on 19 July, 1916, but I am looking to find the disposition of its battalions/companies at the time of the 61st Division's attack.

Chris

Chris

I cannot give you a decent, detailed reply to your question because my copy of the history lacks the maps. However, from the text, it appears that the front line was occupied by 3rd Bn under Hauptmann Petri. There were four sub-sectors a-d and these were occupied by 11th, 12th, 9th and 10th Coys in that order. Difficult of course to say which end of the position was 'a' and which 'd', though there are indications in the account that 'a' was on the German right and, therefore, 'd' on the left. A further clue, if you have a map in front of you, is that Sector IVa apparently had a salient sticking out which was attacked on two sides at 6.15 pm GE time. 4th Coy was manning strong points behind the front line, 2nd Coy was in the Second Position. In regimental reserve were 1st Coy in Aubers and 3rd Coy in Herlies and 2nd Bn was in divisional reserve in Sante.

I have a detailed four page descriptionof 19/7 if it would help you. After that, the only thing left is to go to Munich and pull out the original documentation, which is sure to be detailed.

Jack

Hello Jack:

Thanks for the info--just what I was looking for. My guy, Alois Wagner, was in the 12th Company and KIA that day. I would be interested in the description of 19 July you mentioned from the history, but I regret to say that I don't read German.

Chris

The sub-sectors of Sector IV, held by RIR17, did indeed run a-d from right to left (from the German perspective). 12th Company, under Hauptmann Blumröder, was in sub-sector b, on the extreme left of the frontage attacked (again, from the German perspective).