Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

War Diary - 6th Cameron Highlanders - 1st August 1917

Audax

I would like to find about where and the 6th Cameron Highlanders where on the 1st August 1917. I suspect that they were involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

If anyone can provide details from the Bn War Diary around this date this would be very welcome.

Thank you

A

O.H. Has them at Pilckem Ridge on 31st July. 15th Div. 45th Brigade. The 6th Camerons on the left flank reached Hill 37 and took their objective. 1st August would have seen them patrolling at Dochy and Otto Farms and beyond Zonnebeke- Langemarck Road.

I would like to find about where and the 6th Cameron Highlanders where on the 1st August 1917. I suspect that they were involved in the 3rd Battle of Ypres.

If anyone can provide details from the Bn War Diary around this date this would be very welcome.

Thank you

A

Not got the War Diary but I do have an account of events on the 31st July - 1st August, taken from their history.

If you PM me your email address I'll try to scan

Regards

Martin

• 1 month later...

A,

Here is what is recorded in the Battalion History for the 1st August 1917:

Anything could happen in the Ypres salient—and it did. Early in the morning of August 1 the Royal Scots Fusiliers were relieved without information of the move being conveyed to the 6th and, believing that they were still in the line, Cameron patrols were sent out twice between 8 and 11 A.M. to verify their presence and ascertain their whereabouts. The patrols were badly sniped, and came back without information on each occasion. Ultimately it was discovered that the battalion relieving the Fusiliers had formed a line behind Borry Farm instead of in front of it, and a gap of about 500 yards deep was thus created. Every effort was made to get the line on the right forward and level with the 6th.

In the forenoon, however, enemy planes again flew over the area, firing into the line occupied by the 6th, and in the middle of the day small parties of the enemy were seen advancing from Bremen Redoubt and Vampire Farm. At 2.20 P.M. it was reported that these parties were trying to penetrate the gap, but that Captain Christie, Royal Scots, had mustered every available rifle and formed a defensive flank facing south from Beck House. The sticky mud had played havoc with Lewis guns, which were now out of action; cartridges had become almost cemented in their clips, and breech blocks filled with mud, rendering rifle-fire difficult. It was not really surprising that when the enemy launched a heavy attack the mixed defending force was obliged to withdraw and allow the enemy to occupy Beck House and Borry Farm.

The seriousness of the situation was not lost on Colonel Hannay, who was in command of the mixed troops, and he at once organised his headquarters units at Square Farm for a counter-attack, for which General Allgood also sent forward a company of the Royal Scots Fusiliers (now reduced to about 130 men) about 5 P.M. Meanwhile the mixed front-line troops had been forced back to the region of the Black Line, where 2nd Lieutenant Donaldson found himself with only about twelve men of the Camerons under his immediate command. Finally, in order to clear up the position, the Royal Scots Fusiliers and the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders were ordered to counter-attack, hold and consolidate the Black Line, and to relieve all units of the 45th Brigade. On the night of August 1 and 2, therefore, the worn-out remnant of the battalion moved back to Cambridge Trench.

The Military Cross was awarded to 2nd Lieutenant McCorquodale for his gallantry and devotion to duty during the action. It was largely due to his fine personal example and skilful handling of his company that the enemy counter-attack was delayed.

The casualties on July 31 and August 1 were, Officers:-

Killed:

Lieut-Col J C Russell DSO

Lieut J Carrick, Adjutant

Capt J Hislop MC

Capt C R Carruthers

2nd Lieut W C Donald

2nd Lieut A C Baxter

Reverend J Kellie, CF

Wounded:

Capt W E David RAMC

2nd Lieut F Turner

2nd Lieut McCorquodale

2nd Lieut M McLean

2nd Lieut J C Watson (Died of Wounds)

2nd Lieut A G McNair

2nd Lieut G Hamilton (Prisoner of War)

Missing:

2nd Lieut J R McKay

2nd Lieut F S Sandeman (Prisoner of War)

2nd Lieut A G McGruer (Prisoner of War)

2nd Lieut J G Gibson (Prisoner of War; Died of Wounds)

Other Ranks:-

Killed: 26

Wounded: 145

Missing: 108

Total: 279

I hope it is of use to you and the locations are an aid to mapping out the movements of the 6th Camerons on the 1st of August 1917.

Aye

Tom McC

A

You can search on this forum for these various 'farms'. You may also wish to look at Paul Reed's Ypres Forum which includes numerous posts for the area including a current one covering Frezenberg and Zonnebeke,

see - http://ypres1917.3.forumer.com/index.php?act=idx

The area covered in Tom's earlier post was also important to my town as 12 men died attacking these 'farms' on 6th September 1917. Only a few traces remain but its well worth a visit if you get over to the Salient.

Bernard