Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

6th Bn Yorkshire Regiment 27th Aug, 1917

dannyhill86

Hi Pals,

I'm trying to find out the fate of a relative by the name of Pte James Marron who served with 6th Bn Princess Alexandria's Own yorkshire Regiment and was killed on 27th August, 1917 somewhere near St Julien (i think).. would love to know if anyones has the war diary for the 6th bn at this time or any information on actions in the area around this time...

The details of James that I have are:

Private JAMES MARRON

12264, 6th Bn., Yorkshire Regiment

who died age 33

on 27 August 1917

Son of James and Mary Marron, of Middlesbrough; husband of Mary Ann Marron, of 18, Derwent St., Middlesbrough.

Remembered with honour

TYNE COT MEMORIAL

Many thanks!

Dan

Hi Dan.

I will quote from Wylly, Green Howards:

' On the 26th "A" and "B" Companies were attached to and in close support of the Duke of Wellington's Regiment and took over a line of trenches on the north bank of the Lekkerboter Beek. Next day, the 27th, at 1.55 p.m., Second-Lieutenant F.E.A. Postill and No.1 Platoon of "A" Company attacked the White House, the 115th Brigade being on the left and the Duke of Wellington's Regiment on the right. The platoon came almost at once under very heavy machine-gun fire: the officer was hit, and only Sergeant Cleary and six men managed to reach the objective. Two sections of the same company were sent up to reinforce, but all, except two men, failed to arrive, and what was then left of the original party, finding itself in danger of being cut off, withdrew to Pheasant Trench at 8 p.m.

At 3 in the afternoon "B" Company of the Battalion had been called upon to send up one platoon to reinforce the line, when Second-Lieutenant G.W. Howarth went forward with No. 6 Platoon, but coming under heavy machine-gun fire this party suffered several casualties, including the officer. Captain J.L. Derrick then went up to try and lead the party by a safer way, when he was killed. In all, this day cost the Battalion 1 officer and 8 men killed, 2 officers and 44 other ranks wounded, and 2 men missing.'

Best wishes to you Dan.

Chris.

Fantastic, thanks Chris! Is there any way i can tell if James was in the A coy attack without having his service record.... (one of the destroyed ones) Is there maybe some significance to his service number that could suggest which company he was with? or some other correspondence which might help figure out his exact role in the action on 27th? He is on the tyne-cot memorial so i guess his body wasnt found... although the information shows he is on panel 53 and 165a (i havent got the info with me so the numbers are probably wrong).... but i think that means that there is no grave....

any info would be great....

Many thanks,

dan

He has no 'known' grave but may be buried under an 'unknown' in one of the cemeteries.

The first number is probably the panel his name is on and the second is the addenda panel for men added later.

The 6th Yorkshire's were part of 32nd brigade, 11th (Northern) Division. If he was with them from the start, then he probably fought on Gallipoli. After Galipoli the Division spent 6 months in Egypt before moving to France.

The Battle of 27th August was known as a 'minor operation' along with ones on 19th and 22nd. Lord Haig's dispatch of 25th December 1917 read 'On 19th, 22nd and 27th August positions of considerable importance in the neighbourhood of St Julien were captured with some hundreds of prisoners, as a result of these minor attacks, conducted under the most unfavourable conditions of ground and weather. The ground gained represented an advance of about 800 yards on a front of over two miles'. (Para 48 extract Lord Haig's dispatch 25 December 1917.)

33rd brigade held the line prior to the attack on 27th, being relieved on 26th August.

The conditions were so bad that it took a Battalion to do a Companies work when bringing up food and ammo to the front line. German snipers were also active in the area.

Steve

Hi Dan.

Regards James, he entered the Theatre Of War, France, 26th August, 1915. This would 'suggest' previous service with another battalion of the regiment.

Just one thing i can add which is a narrative of operations by the 9th (Service) Battalion of the West Yorkshire Regiment from Wyrall on the date in question:

'From 18th to 25th practising the attack for forthcoming operations occupied all ranks, and at 9 p.m. on the 26th companies marched off to take over a portion of the front line held by the 9th Sherwood Foresters, north-east of St. Julien and east of the Steenbeek, with Battalion Headquarteres at Maison Bulgare.

In conjunction with troops on either flank, the 32nd Brigade (11th Division), to which the 9th West Yorkshires belonged, had been ordered to attack and capture the Pheasant Trench Line and establish a line of strong posts on the Blue Dotted Line. The attack was to be carried out by the 9th West Yorkshires (Lieut.-Colonel F.P. Worsley, commanding) on the right and the 8th Duke of Wellington's Regiment on the left; one company of the 6th Yorkshire Regiment was to hold posts on the extreme left of the Brigade front forming a point on the left flank of the attack. The objectives allotted to the 9th West Yorkshires are given as thus in the Battalion Diary:

"Pheasant Trench from U.30.d.1.9. to C.6.b.9.1.

The intention was to capture and hold the line with the first wave and to establish a line of posts from:

U.30.b.7.2. to D.1.a.6.2. with the second wave."

Of the 9th West Yorkshires the first wave consisted of "C" Company on the right and "D" Company on the left; in the second wave "A" Company was on the right and "B" on the left.

The 7th Worcesters were on the right and the 8th Duke of Wellington's Regiment on the left of the West Yorkshiremen.

"Zero" was at 1-55 p.m. on the 27th August, at which hour a heavy shrapnel barrage was put down on the enemy's trenches. Under this barrage the attacking battalions left their assembly trenches and began their advance. The most appalling conditions met the men as they endeavoured to cross No Man's Land. Rain was falling heavily, and in many places the ground had become absolutely impassable. Mud and filth and great gaping shell-holes, in many places continuous and full of water, formed barriers across which it was impossible to advance.

Three minutes after "Zero" hour - "at 1-58 p.m." the Diary states, the enemy's barrage fell on the Langemarck-Winnipeg road. From Pheasant Trench and several "pill boxes" (chief of which was Vielles Maisons) heavy machine-gun and rifle fire now swept the ranks of the West Yorkshiremen, and the advance was checked. Presently the Divisional barrage lifted and a gallant attempt was made to occupy the enemy's trenches, but by this time few men remained, and those who were successful in entering the trenches were unable, being too wek in numbers, to remain there. But one house at Vieilles Maisons was captured, and a line of posts was formed east of Bulow Farm, running parallel with Pheasant Trench. Here the battalion hung on. Throughout the 28th the line of posts taken up by the battalion on the previous day was consolidated, and the whole of Vieilles Maisons passed into the hands of the West Yorkshiremen without opposition.'

Hope that helps to give you a 'bigger picture' of events on the day Dan.

My best wishes, and, as regards the West Yorkshire Regiment of which i have a particular interest.....

Ca Ira!

Chris.