Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great Uncle Will

liliasodell

This is a photo of my great-uncle William Boyles, who I knew quite well when I was young. He joined up towards the end of the war, and never actually left these shores. I've been through the service and pension records, plus medal index, and can't find him. He was born in 1889, in Wootton, Bedforshire (Ampthill District). I'm no expert on cap badges, but the one on his does not appear to be Bedfordshire Regiment - which many young men in his area joined. It looks as if it might be artillery? If anyone's able to offer help, it would be most appreciated.post-55117-1273584459.jpg

Hi Arthur

Absence of Service Record etc is all too common of an occurrence I am afraid. The absence of a medal card can only mean that he did not achieve a medal entitlement and note that he did not serve abroad, which may explain the absence.

Hope this helps.

Peridot

Looks like a Gunner to me - lanyard on shoulder, bandolier and probably the cap badge. If you can crop, enlarge and repost the badge someone may be able to confirm it.

D

Edited to remove error.

There is a William J Boyles, Royal Field Artillery, No. 87372 to France on 1-6-1915, and discharged with a Silver War Badge on the medal index cards.

William's Birth Registration shows he was registered as William John Boyle.

The date of embarkation to France of the above William J Boyle (combined with the records of other men with numbers around his) would suggest that he may have joined up in August 1914 and been a member of one of the artillery Brigades - 62nd, 63rd, 64th or 65th (Howitzer) - of 12th (Eastern) Division.

However, this man served abroad and if you are sure yours didn't then it won't be him.

Steve.

Thanks to all with the suggestions - much appreciated. I am fairly sure that he never saw active service, but I will check with his daughter-in-law when I'm next in touch. I've blown the cap up as much as poss - though it's still hard to make out. With the original photo, and a good magnifying glass I can see the following - upper portion of the badge has an artillery gun, barrel pointing upwards to the right. Under this runs a line, with a shallow 'dip' in the middle, and under this is another line which undulates more - a bit like a pulled-out W (in old script!) If this isn't readily recognisable could anyone point me in the direction of a good WWI insignia website (just being lazy - if someone knows of the top of their head, it'll save me trying to find one). Thanks again!post-55117-1273648757.jpg