Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Help needed WW1 soldier KRRC

john gregory

Can anyone help me with this soldier, he is Pte. 5938 Arthur Cholerton, 1st Battn, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, kia 15.5.1915. age 25

I have his details from the CWGC but I would like where were the 1st Battn. KRRC on that date. JG

The battalion was under command of 2nd Division. This is what Sir John French reported, in his despatch on the Battle of Festubert:

"On the 15th May I moved the Canadian Division into the 1st Corps area and placed them at the disposal of Sir Douglas Haig. The infantry of the Indian Corps and the 2nd Division of the 1st Corps advanced to the attack of the enemy's trenches which extended from Richebourg L'Avoue in a south-westerly direction. Before daybreak the 2nd Division had succeeded in capturing two lines of the enemy's trenches, but the Indian Corps were unable to make any progress owing to the strength of the enemy's defences in the neighbourhood of Richebourg L'Avoue".

I am sure someone will have the battalion war diary to hand for a more specific report ...

Further to the above does anyone know if any battalions of KRRC were in the Bucks area preparing, prior to going to France

Nick

1/KRRC were in the Front Line opposite FERME DE BOIS in the Rue du Bois area about 1.5 miles NE of FESTUBERT.

An assault by (working N-S down the line from Port Arthur) part of the Indian Division, 5th Brigade and 6th Brigade, was launched on the enemy lines at 23:30hrs.

The 6th Bde attack consisted of 1/KRRC on the left and Berks on the right with 7/King's Liverpools co-operating on the right. Their Orders were to seize and hold the first two lines of the enemy trenches, and then to consolidate to await a further wave assaulting through these positions at daybreak.

The enemy front line contained a marked bend which led to a salient to the N where machine guns had been placed in order to enfillade No Man's Land further to the west. This bend was 1/KRRC's northern marker and 5th Bde was tasked with taking the salient and neutralising the machine guns (2/Inniskilling Fusilers).

The attack was successful and the two lines taken, with most of the casualties caused by cross fire from the salient on their left.

They consolidated and dug in to await for the reinforcements to pass through at daybreak.

When dawn broke though, it proved very difficult for the second wave to get across due to fire from the trenches to the left and very heavy shelling. The troops in the old enemy line were left rather isolated but successfully hung on until relieved by 2/South Staffs at 02:00hrs 17 May.

The Battle as a whole faded over subsequent days, but with the enemy retreating to a new line in the rear.

1/KRRC casualties on 15th May 1915 were:

Officers: KiA - 4; Wounded - 9; Missing - 0

Other Ranks: KiA - 22; Wounded - 184; Missing - 88

TOTAL: 307

This Map shows the area, though I'm afraid I've had to crop off the key to get it small enough to pst :mellow:

post-20192-1273595904.jpg

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

1/KRRC were in the Front Line opposite FERME DE BOIS in the Rue du Bois area about 1.5 miles NE of FESTUBERT.

An assault by (working N-S down the line from Port Arthur) part of the Indian Division, 5th Brigade and 6th Brigade, was launched on the enemy lines at 23:30hrs.

The 6th Bde attack consisted of 1/KRRC on the left and Berks on the right with 7/King's Liverpools co-operating on the right. Their Orders were to seize and hold the first two lines of the enemy trenches, and then to consolidate to await a further wave assaulting through these positions at daybreak.

The enemy front line contained a marked bend which led to a salient to the N where machine guns had been placed in order to enfillade No Man's Land further to the west. This bend was 1/KRRC's northern marker and 5th Bde was tasked with taking the salient and neutralising the machine guns (2/Inniskilling Fusilers).

The attack was successful and the two lines taken, with most of the casualties caused by cross fire from the salient on their left.

They consolidated and dug in to await for the reinforcements to pass through at daybreak.

When dawn broke though, it proved very difficult for the second wave to get across due to fire from the trenches to the left and very heavy shelling. The troops in the old enemy line were left rather isolated but successfully hung on until relieved by 2/South Staffs at 02:00hrs 17 May.

The Battle as a whole faded over subsequent days, but with the enemy retreating to a new line in the rear.

1/KRRC casualties on 15th May 1915 were:

Officers: KiA - 4; Wounded - 9; Missing - 0

Other Ranks: KiA - 22; Wounded - 184; Missing - 88

TOTAL: 307

This Map shows the area, though I'm afraid I've had to crop off the key to get it small enough to pst :mellow:

post-20192-1273595904.jpg

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark