Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

R/609 Able Seaman Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince. Anson Bn. RNVR

greatbeanbags

My youngest great uncle was Sydney Rodney Cyril Vince an Able Seaman in the RNVR Anson Bn. 63rd (RN) Division fighting at Varlet Farm on the 26th October 1917. I have Sydney's engraved Victory Medal but not his Great War Service Medal.

I also have a Discharge Card from the NA (very different to an Army MIC) that details his Service Record, full personal details like address, height, chest size, weight, complexion, hair & eye colour - even religion! This shows he was killed in action that very morning (aged 19) & his personal effects were sent back to his parents (my great grandparents).

Sydney is remembered with honour on the Tyne Cot Memorial but he is believed to be buried at Poelkapelle in one of the many unmarked graves in this cemetery.

Have just returned from my own Battlefield tour where I stayed at Varlet Farm. Am posting images of Sydney's memorial at Tyne Cot, possible grave at Poelkapelle. I am also lucky enough to have copy of a letter written by his officer about his death & a piece written in the Suffolk Monks Eleigh Parish Gazette that you may like to read.

Lieutenant Stevenson captured Varlet Farm with only 7 men remaining from his platoon & quite clearly Sydney played his part in this action! I have copy of the Bn. War Diary account from the NA.

I also post an family image of a young man in uniform. Can readers tell me if this man is wearing Army Reserve uniform please? If so it will be Sydney before being transfered to the Anson Bn.

post-51610-1273568250.jpg

Possible Poelkapelle Grave, Lieutentant Stevensons letter copy etc.

post-51610-1273568381.jpg

post-51610-1273568457.jpg

post-51610-1273568498.jpg

Is this Sydney in Army reserve uniform please? :thumbsup: All thoughts appreciated. Thanks

post-51610-1273568774.jpg

Anson Battalion War Diary 26th October 1917 - official account of the action where Sydney was KIA

S of Poelcapelle

In action. Zero at 5.40 am, we attacked on a frontage of 520 yds with D. Coy on the right, half of B Coy in support, A Coy on left, C Coy in reserve, remainder of B Coy was detailed for carrying duties. The previous night was fine up to midnight but from that hour to zero, steady rain fell which but increased the difficulties of movement, the ground over which we had to advance was indescribable, a mass of shell holes four to five feet deep in water, the intervening spaces being filled with mud into which the men sank over their knees, in spite of this almost insuperable difficulty, strong resistance the Battalion pressed on and gained the greater part of its objective. A Coy on the left was held up by heavy machine gun fire and suffered severely, D Coy on the right, in spite of the fact that all its officers were casualties, gained its objectives, but were compelled to fall back owing to the attack on their right having failed, having got into touch with the troops on their right, they dug in and remained there until relieved. SUB LIEUT STEVENSON, with 7 men, all that remained of his platoon successfully effected the capture of VARLET FARM, where they hung on although nearly surrounded by the enemy, until midnight when they were relieved by the HOOD Bn. Such portions of the Battalion where dispositions were known were relieved that night, and marched back to huts at IRISH FARM the remainder were relieved on the following night, on the line being taken over by units of the 189th Brigade. Our casualties were heavy 2 officers killed 7 wounded 1 missing, the total losses of O R’s including killed, wounded & missing are 260. The officers killed were Lieut F.C.Mundy. MC & Sub Lieut J.G.Russell. MC.

Temporary. Sub-Lieutenant. William Stevenson. M.C.

Awarded the Military Cross. (3rd Supp. London Gazette. 17.12.17, page 13184.)

Statement of service for which Military Cross was awarded.

“For conspicuous gallantry and devotion to duty in leading his platoon against a farm strongly held by the enemy. In spite of a stubborn resistance, and heavy losses, he finally succeeded in capturing the farm with seven men – all that remained of his platoon. Although nearly surrounded by the enemy, he held the position until relieved that night.” ( 5th Supp. London Gazette. 23.4 18.)

Extract from the Hood Battalion War Diary.

A dual was in progress between the garrison of the pillbox and two parties of the enemy N.E. and N.W. of it. The pillbox was knee deep in water and was being held by Sub Lieut. Stevenson of the Anson Battalion and 11 survivors of his platoon, with 1 Lewis Gun.

They were putting up a good fight and keeping at bay a larger number of the enemy, some of whom occupied another pillbox about 100 yards away, whilst others moved from place to place sniping from ranges of 30 – 100 yards.

The Anson garrison was embarrassed by the presence of several wounded who included Lieut. Gough of the R.F.A., and 4 Germans. They were running short of S.A.A.

• 2 years later...

Great & amazing news.....thanks to an anonymous telephone caller, perhaps from this forum, (who left no number so I could call back) I was advised that Sydney's Silver War medal was for sale on ebay last Friday. :w00t:

Thanks to the seller who took it off sale & allowed me to buy it back the next day when I turned up on his doorstep! :thumbsup:

Further research into the ebay seller & further back in the ebay chain I have learnt that it was recently discovered in a car boot sale in Plymouth, where my grandfather lived in the 1970's. I have sneaking feeling he sold his younger brothers silver medal to buy Mackeson Stout or Woodbines in the Blue Monkey Public House (now no more). He wouldn't sell his own war medal or medals (that I also have) as my grandmother would have 'given him the stick'.

Here's hoping 1 young soldier & 1 old soldier are looking down & having a laugh ......or maybe a fist fight! Could there be a 'more powerful force' somewhere at work too? :hypocrite:

Still hoping to find Sydney's Death Plaque........does anyone out there have it.....please?

post-51610-0-59861900-1339612173_thumb.j

Wow ! What a finish, nice to see that there are folk who value good deeds above a few pounds to be made as profit.

Is this Sydney in Army reserve uniform please? thumbsup.png All thoughts appreciated. Thanks

It's an Army uniform (1902 pattern Service Dress) but it was worn by the Royal Naval Division too and I cannot make out the cap badge from that distance. He is also wearing what look like deeply curved metal (brass) shoulder titles too.

• 2 weeks later...

So it could be him in the uniform of Army Reserve before joining the Anson Bn. RNVR!

The young man in this photo looks so young.....Sydney was killed aged 19 so just maybe it is him. Thanks.