Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Edward Thomas, 2nd KRRC

jnickwilliams

I am trying to discover details of Albert Edward Thomas, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, number R13658. Does this give an indication of when he enlisted? On his medal roll, it says "Trans.L.A.R." What does this mean? He first entered France on 23.12.15. Is there information about where and what the KRRC were doing then? He was taken prisoner on 10 July 1917 after the Battle of Nieuport les Bains. Where would he have gone after? Are there any documents giving lists of prisoners? I know that he ended up as a POW on a farm in Buchlein, north of Nurnberg. Was this usual, and how were these prisoners repatriated?

Any help would be most gratefully received.

Nick

Nick,

Have you seen the other topics on the Battle of the Dunes ? Myself and Mark Brockway have posted quite a bit on the battle. We both have a list of the missing from the battle, which we can send if you want. Albert's name is on the list and shows he was from Stratford.

Trans L.A.R. is probably "Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve" i.e. demobilised at the end of the war.

One of the main Battle of the Dunes topics is here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...=41843&st=0

I have posted some POW debriefing reports later in the topic here:

http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/i...p;#entry1407202

A lot of the POWs from the Dunes would have followed the path of Corporal Smith on the 2nd link above, but not necessarily all...

Steve.

... and how were these prisoners repatriated?

Nick

Nick,

Steve's already pointed you to the Battle of the Dunes topics.

There's a lot of useful detail on the POW repatriation process in here:

Rifleman Stanley Petty No A/204642 11th Kings Royal Rifles

I'll get back to you on the enlistment date.

Cheers,

Mark

I am trying to discover details of Albert Edward Thomas, Kings Royal Rifle Corps, number R13658. Does this give an indication of when he enlisted?

Nick,

Here are the nearby numbers I was able to find ...

R/13644 - enlisted 28 May 1915

R/13647 - enlisted 02 Jun 1915

R/13649 - enlisted 31 May 1915

R/13687 - enlisted 01 Jun 1915

I think for R/13658 Thomas, you could safely go with a window a week either side of 01 Jun 1915

On his medal roll, it says "Trans.L.A.R." What does this mean?

As Steve suggested, this actually reads Trans Z A.R. meaning Transferred to Class Z Army Reserve - i.e. he was demobilised. Check the Mother Site for a full explanation of Class Z Reserve.

Do you mean MIC when you say medal roll? If you do have the Medal Roll, then are any other battalions listed for Rfn Thomas besides 2/KRRC?

HTH

Cheers,

Mark

Many thanks Steve and Mark: you have been really helpful. No I havent got the medal rolls - its the MIC (Im still a bit of an amateur about terminology). The Z reserve makes sense.

best wishes,

Nick