Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Dennis Malcolm King, DSO MC

J.G. Hopkins

I am currently researching Dennis Malcolm King of the King's Liverpool Regiment who was attached to the Australian Imperial Forces. Here is a brief snapshot of what I already know:

2nd Lieutenant - 6 October 1906

Lieutenant - 4 November 1908

Captain - 1 October 1914

In August 1914, attached to the Australian Army with the Admin & Instructional Staff (since 1913)

1915 Army List - still with the Aussies

Egypt December 1914 to March 1915

At Gallipoli (presumably with the ANZACS) - April to December 1915

Egypt again January to May 1916

France & Belgium June 1916 to Nov 1918

MiD 28 January 1916, 4 January 1917, 11 December 1917 and 27 December 1918

Brevet Major 3 June 1919

Military Cross 1916

DSO 1 Jan 1917 "for distinguished service in the field"

Clasp to DSO 7 Nov 1918 "for conspicuous gallantry and good leadership in organising three successful raids and compelling the enemy to withdraw from an outpost line overlooking our front line. Valuable identifications were obtained, 22 prisoners were taken, and many of the enemy killed. He showed the greatest energy and ability in preparing these raids, and in the raids themselves set a splendid example of courage and determination."

I note he remained on the reserve of officers until 1944 (I wonder if he played any sort of role with the Home Guard during WWII?).

Died 12 August 1960

In addition to the above information, I have found his AIF papers online (http://mappingouranzacs.naa.gov.au/details-permalink.aspx?barcode_no=1971410) and two photos (http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/E00743 and http://cas.awm.gov.au/item/EZ0091), many Gazette entries, and a copy of his MIC.

I am interested in finding additional details of his service that may not be readily available online--including details of his post-war career--as well as additional photos or anything else that might be of interest. I appreciate your help!

Thank you,

Jonathan

No further info but a very busy and brave man

MC

Thank you for your comments. I agree with you completely! He was obviously a dedicated and capable soldier with his multiple gallantry awards and a nearly 40 year career. I am interested to learn more about the circumstances of his DSO and bar. I suppose in order to do that I would need to find the War Diary for the dates in question, as well as exactly what unit's War Diary I need!

I am not going to hold my breath, but hopefully my enquiry with the regimental museum will turn up some new information (and hopefully some photos!).

Jonathan

It seems he is discussed in a volume of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research (Volume 77, Issues 309-312, 1999). I am not sure what the title of the article is, but if any members have access to this resource and would be willing to provide me with the title I can request a copy of the article through inter-library loan.

Thank you,

Jonathan

His entry on page 1512 of Debretts 1919 under Companionage reads:

KING Lieut-Col. Dennis Malcom;DSO, MC; b.1886; is Capt. and Acting Lieut.Col. Liverpool Regiment.;

served during South African War 1899-1902 (Queen's medal with clasp, Kings Medal with clasp),and during European War 1914-17(despatches) MC;DSO with Bar);cr DSO 1917, (Bar 1918)

His entry on page 282 of Part 2 of the Distinguished Service Order provides confirmation of full date of birth 25.11.1886 and dates of awards and promotions as per post 1.

If the information contained in Debretts is correct for his South African War Service then he actually has two entries on page 934 of War Services of Officers of the Army 1920:

KING D.M. Lt Reserve of Officers)

South African War - operations in the Transvaal 30 Nov.00 to May 01 and Mar to May 02. Queen's medal with one clasp and King's medal with two clasps.

KING D.M. Brevet Major Liverpool Regt.

1914-19 France and Belgium - the dates of his service line up with those in post 1.

Intriguing??? Happy Hunting

Philip

It seems he is discussed in a volume of the Journal of the Society for Army Historical Research (Volume 77, Issues 309-312, 1999). I am not sure what the title of the article is, but if any members have access to this resource and would be willing to provide me with the title I can request a copy of the article through inter-library loan.

Thank you,

Jonathan

Jonathan

As I was researching my previous post I did not spot your latest post until now. I am a member of the Society for Army Historical Research as others are sure to be in this forum. I will dig out the article for you later tonight. I can scan the relevant pages and send them to you - please pm me your email address.

Philip.

Philip,

The Boer War service is not only intriguing, but puzzling, too! A 14 year old officer?! Thank you very much for the additional information. It seems I have barely scratched the surface of this interesting fellow's life and career. :)

Jonathan

PS--I have sent you a message regarding the article.

Thanks to a post here at the GWF (http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=132484&mode=linear) I was able to find a few mentions of King in The story of the Fifth Australian division, being an authoritative account of the division's doings in Egypt, France and Belgium by Capt. A.D. Ellis. Here are a few examples (amongst many), which seem to be very favorable.

"His first assistants on the General Staff were Major D. M. King

(the King's Liverpool Regiment), who was appointed G.S.O. II,

and Captain Boase, who was the Division's first G.S.O. III. Major

King had the ardent and energetic temperament of so many men of

Irish extraction, and his personal gallantry and his experience of

staff and regimental work promised well for his success as G.S.O. II.

Captain Boase was one of the earlier graduates of Duntroon. He

was quiet and unassuming, capable and painstaking, and altogether

efficient in everything that he undertook."

"Early in December Major D. M. King,

who had been G.S.O. II of the Division since its formation, left to

fill a staff appointment in an English formation. He had rendered

the Division good service for a long time, especially in its training

activities, where his energetic personality and organising ability

had ample scope. He was succeeded by Major G. Wootten, a

Duntroon graduate of proved ability."

Unfortunately (for me) the Liverpool City Museum, which houses the King's Regiment museum, is undergoing some sort of renovation and they will not reply to queries until next year. My fingers are crossed that some photos come to light before then!

Jonathan