Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

16th Welsh Regiment

Tyneside Chinaman

Hi

At Saturdays postcard fair in Kendal I pcked up four cards to 16th Cardiff City Battalion The Welsh Regiment.

In three the men all wear the normal Welsh Regiment cap badge. But in the attached group photo the NCO's all appear to have a bronze cap badge.

Can any one tell me if this was an early issue and then discontinued. The photographer was A Haley of Colwyn Bay which would date it to between Dec 14 and Aug 15.

Any help greatfully received.

thanks

John

post-27843-1273435661.jpg

Hi John,

the only variation that I can think off is the blackened badge of the 7th Bn (Cyclists). I wonder if stocks were low and officers badges were issued to some NCOs

Hi

thanks

Thats a thought but they look more bronze than black need a Welsh Regt expert

regards

John

Sorry, but don't know much about cap badges. The 14th Welsh did leave Swansea for Rhyl (not far from Colwyn Bay) in December 1914 and they sailed for France (after training at Winchester) on 2 December 1915. The 16th would have ploughed a similar furrow also being part of the 38th (Welsh) Division...

Bernard

As officers badges were bought and not issued then I suspect that they are not Officers badges. It is impossible to tell blackened brass from bronze badges in black and white photos. It is more likely that they are ex 7th Bn men.

Just a thought John, but as the 16th Welsh had the funds necessary to have their own collar badges, in the form of the coat of arms of the City of Cardiff, I wonder if that money extended to a nice batch of bronze cap badges as well?

While looking through the Archives of the Welsh Army Corps, I found references to the 15th Welsh begging cap badges (and items of webbing, clothing etc) from the 10th & 13th Welsh. It looks as if some of the Welsh Regiment Service Battalions were better funded than others!

Nice photo by the way- if you ever want to sell them on.....! :rolleyes:

SteveJ.

The 16th Welsh was also one of the units known to have been at least partly outfitted in Welsh grey "Brethyn Llwyd" - though not these NCOs by the look of it!

LST_164

All

thanks for the replies, SteveJ sorry mate the are the legacy for my kids along with all the rest.

regards

John