Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform and regiment identification

Auto

Hi there,

Can anyone tell me this mans regiment and rank? I believe its a scottish regiment but I'm not exactly sure. Is his uniform world war 1 or earlier? Does the white line and insignia on this cuff have any significance? Also can anyone identify the medal ribbon?

Many thanks, David.

post-28793-1273433766.jpg

I`ll have a go at The Kings Own Scottish Borderers,and the Queens South Africa Medal and The Kings South Africa Medal.

Gary

Hi David,

no expert but I'd say RQMS of the KOSB or a Regimental Quarter Master Sergeant of the King's Own Scottish Borderers,

cheers, Jon

Can anyone tell me this mans regiment and rank? I believe its a scottish regiment but I'm not exactly sure. Is his uniform world war 1 or earlier? Does the white line and insignia on this cuff have any significance? Also can anyone identify the medal ribbon?

The soldier wears the belt off the 1914 Pattern Leather Infantry Equipment, so it cannot date early than the war.

Definately K.O.S.B., but with a twist to his rank here, brought about by the wearing of a normal pattern SD jacket rather than one with the curved cutaway skirt to the front. The twist lies in the case of his rank with the introduction of an additional pieace of lace on each of the cuffs, below the crown, which you wouldn't normally see being worn by a senior NCO of WOII rank i.e. C.S.M.

I personally think we're looking as "Sergeant Major"(WOI) of a KOSB service battalion shortly after it's formation, who would later become an RSM with the restructuring of the rank process.

I'll let Grumpy know about this one as he's always interested in odd ones.

Many thanks for all the replies! Much appreciated.

Just to make sure I've got this right - the man in the photo is probably a Sergeant Major (WOI) who would later become a Regimental Sergeant Major (WOI) in 1915 after the restructuring? Does this mean the photo would have been taken sometime between 1914 and April/May 1915?

Also were chevrons only worn below the crown on the right arm?

Thanks, David.