Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

CCS at the Battle of Mons 1914

mattp

Hope someone can help.

I am after information on what medical arrangements there where for the Battle of Mons (casualty clearing stations, etc. ) I am researching a soldier from the S.Lancs. who's MIC states he died of wounds on the 26th August 1914. It would be nice to find which unit would have treated him. I know the S.Lancs were in the Frameries area on the 24th.

Matt

Matt,

Try this link - http://www.archive.org/stream/greatwarramc...age/n7/mode/2up hopefully you can access the site. It's an ebook from the Internet Archive covering the medical arrangements for the first five months or so of the war, the title is "The Great War and the R.A.M.C.".

Regards,

Dave

Matt

There seems to have been only three Casualty Clearing Stations deployed in Aug 1914:

Nos 3 and 5 were at Hazebrouck,and No 2 at Bailleul,both places to SW of Ypres.I supose that it depends on which Bn he served as to which Field Ambulance,for instance,2 and 1/4 were with 7 Brigade of 3 Division and seem to have been served by 7 FA,though 8 and 9 were also on the strength of that Division.

Sotonmate

In the circumstances of the advance to and then retreat from Mons, I doubt any CCS was in one place long enough to be recognisable as a CCS (and that's if they were in France at all yet). It would be worth checking the diary of GHQ and II Corps for the notes/diary of the Director of Medical Services, and the Official History of the Medical Services.

There wasn't an organised evacuation chain as such because most of the medical units had not arrived in time. The only Field Ambulances engaged for II Corps were the 7th and 13th. The 8th and 9th Field Ambulances were mis-routed and so were not present during the Battle of Mons. 'B' Section of the 7th Field Ambulance opened at Cuesmes but was ordered to retire on Frameries, the wounded were left in a Belgium Red Cross Hospital there. The majority of the wounded collected by the different sections of the 7th Field Ambulance were sent to the local hospitals in Mons, Frameries and Paturages, in accordance with the instructions given to the ADMS of the 3rd Division to make local arrangements for their evacuation.

Barbara