Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

shoulder title re-strike manufacturers - do they exist ?

Andre Chissel

Dear all,

I am having the Devil's own job of tracking down shoulder titles of the Labour Corps and the 9th Glasgow Highlanders for my collection.

I have all but given up on trying to get originals and was wondering whether there are any companies out there that manufacture re-strikes of such things ?

Looking forward to hearing what you have to say.

Thanks

Andre Chissel

There are, but you need to use an original to cast it from

There are, but you need to use an original to cast it from

Thanks for getting back so promptly - chicken and egg situation in my case LOL !

Oh well, might as well continue to hunt for the originals !

Andre

Thanks for getting back so promptly - chicken and egg situation in my case LOL !

Oh well, might as well continue to hunt for the originals !

Andre

Just to add what Robl has mentioned. Yes, you can get reproductions made..... I've not long had a batch made for my reenactment unit.... but to make the cost viable, one needs to order in bulk. However, one may be able to come to an agreement with the manufacturer for just a couple of sets. When you take the price of my particular order = x20 sets = 12.pounds sterling per set, I think a good idea can be gained for having just a couple of sets manufactured!

Well done 'GT'... excellent!

If they are only viably made in lots of 20, I wonder how many are on ebay as genuine?

Originals - numbers 379 and 1363 - of both available here:

Lew Shotton

Best wishes,

GT.

There is a God ! Flip and words to that effect ! Thank you ! I shall be contacting you shortly - please reserve them for me !

If they are only viably made in lots of 20, I wonder how many are on ebay as genuine?

I've got a set of reproduction shoulder titles and they're so shiny, despite being a few years old and untouched, I don't think anyone would believe they're original if put up on ebay

The chap who made mine is superb at his craft. You really have to look hard in comparison to find the repro.

I have just read this post with great interest. I first started collecting Cap Badges , I can hardly believe it, 62 years ago. my how time flies. in the intervening years I have swopped cajoled, bought and accepted as gifts many badges. My father was a regular soldier and for myself a period in the army cadets then five years as a regular means that most of the collection I can vouch for. Many of you fellow collectors will have occasionally acquired the 'old' tobacco tin or leather belt that included 'metal shoulder titles that for many years I have kept separate in a box. Recently I have taken to pairing them up with cap badges but have had no thought of value. Even allowing the fact that the prices quoted on the linked list are sale, I am going to treat these items with a little more respect. I have had most of them for years and in some cases, TF examples, I got them from family members and in two the WW1 soldiers themselves. A very interesting post.

Tony P