Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1/7th Cheshire Regiment make-up

potty5

Dear Forum Members, thank you so far for your help. Does anybody have the make-up of the 1/7th Bn Cheshire Regiment. I am keen to know what unit the lads from Crewe and Nantwich served in. Also where were they from the opening throes of the war and was the action at Suvla their babtism of fire?

Thanks again to all who reply Mark Potts

http://www.1914-1918.net/cheshire.htm

will give some detail and show the 1/7th were in the UK from formation in Macclesfield in Aug 1914 to shipping out to Suvla Bay for a 9/8/1915 arrival there,it's first battle.

Sotonmate

Whilst still in their 8 company structure, the 7th Bn broke down something like this (at least in terms of where the drill halls were):

A company - Congleton

B company - Congleton

C company - Macclesfield

D company - Macclesfield

E company - Winsford / Middlewich

F company - Nantwich

G company - Sandbach

H company - Wilmslow

John, do you know which companies men from Bollington and Kerridge would have served in, C or D (or both)?

Thanks

Martin

They would very likely have gone to Macclesfield as their nearest company. In my (very limited) research into the Wilmslow, the only man I've come across who lived nearer to one of the other companies was an officer from Sandbach who was promoted and transfered to H company.

When they moved to the 4 company structure in 1915, the Wilmslow men became part of A Company. I'm not sure how the other seven companies were shuffled around.