Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Can anyone tell me more than i can from this RAF pic

Cenowski

All i can tell from this family pic of mine is that its RAF, or atg least i think it is, could be Royal Navy Air Corps even.....

PossiblyFrederickAlbertShoebridgeWW.jpg

There never was a Royal Navy Air Corps - a Royal Naval Air Service there was. The cap would suggest RFC or RAF., There is something about it that nags post WW1 RAF at me - is that a Sidcot he is wearing?

I believe that it is a sidcot but i dont know much info about the types of sidcots used..... Also i noticed that on the cap there is a white stripe the whole circumfrence of the middle of the cap he is wearing, im sure that signifys something as i havnt seen many on pics.....

bones1.jpg

This fellow is in the Air Training Corps in the late 30s. His white flash indicates that he has been accepted by the RAF for training.

Not sure if that helps.

Im not sure but thanks all the same.... i found few caps similar to the one the picture i added has and they are all Canadian Pilots pictures which dosnt help much as im sure the guy is not Canadian what so ever..... It seems to be refered to by one site as an overseas cap what ever they mean by that im not sure, need a Air Forces expect on this one i think, just i dont know any unfortunatly

The white band on his cap may indicate that he was an officer cadet at the RAF College Cranwell. The College was formerly RNAS Daedelus, prior to the formation of the RAF on 1 Apr 18.

Based on the info from you two guys i found a pic similar but was ww2 and spoke of Officer cadets wearing white 1 inch strip on the non service ceremonial cap, i can only assume it was from age old tradition, however the search for similar pics on the net didnt show much

The photo looks mid/late 30's to my untrained eye.

The white 'flash' indicates 'Aircrew Under Training'.

Many WW2 RAF Aircrew were trained in Canada (safer skies) which is probably where you picked up the Canada theme.

The flying boots look to be '36 Pattern.

Wes.

Does the type of Sidcot overall possibly tell anything about the age rangę of the photo? As for the boots the pics so dark i cant see well to check against others to great effect enough..... Wish this family member wouldnif written n back, saved me trouble

Further to ksli the white flash does indeed refer to him being under flight crew training. This was worn by all RAF both officer, NCO etc. Not only did the WW2 RAF train in Canada but there were several 'Empire Flying Schools' around the wourld including Canada, Texas,Florida and possibly South Africa.

When this tradition started is another matter and by itself cannot be used to date the picture.

From the level of clothing I would sugest that the USA and South Africa are non starters.