Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

2nd Battalon H.L.I Arras April 1917

stuy

I am reading a great book Walking Arras Battleground however it has little reference to the Highland Light Infrantry so I am not sure that I am looking at the correct battleground.

My interest stems from a great uncle Donald McKinnon Pvt. 13085 who died on the 28th April 1917 and is commemorated on the Arras memorial hence the assumption of Arras battleground. I am interested to know more about this battalons works activity and in particular the action they were engaged in when he was killed.

I have no knowledge of army configurations etc so hence my total ignorance, apologies.

Stu

Hi there Stu here are two link that should give you the information you are looking for.

one is for 2nd btn HLI the other one is for the 2nd division that will tell which battles they were in

http://www.1914-1918.net/hli.htm

http://www.1914-1918.net/2div.htm

I hope this give you the information you need.

Ianander

Mckinnon Donald Private- aged 22.

Army no 13085

2nd btn Highland Light Infantry.

date of death 28/04/1917.

Son of Mr&mrs Murdock Mckinnon.

of Railway Cottage,Morar,Inverness-shire

Memorial - ARRS Memorial - Bay 8.

some extra info Ianander

Stu

2nd HLI were part of 5th Brigade that attacked near Oppy on the 28th April. As usual in these later attacks on the Scarpe the wire was not very well cut but the 2 attacking battalions did make some progress. The 6th brigade on the right, however, were ejected from Oppy Wood and this left 5th Brigade's flank in the air. 2nd HLI had to fall back to the German second line. I will see if I have some more detailed info tucked away somewhere.

Jim

Stu

Here is the day's action out of the diary.

3.15 am The battalion moved up into position for attack, in the order of coys. A, rt. front, B left front, C right rear, D left rear each company being in depth in two waves, the first two being accommodated in the newly dug front line and the rear two on 2 tapes 50 yards distance from the front line and each other. Heavy shelling on C Coy from 4 a.m.

4.25 am Zero Hour. 2nd Ox & Bucks L I on the left of the battalion, & 17th Middlesex on the right. Moppers up supplied by 1½ coys of 17th R F. 4 Stokes guns & machine guns accompanied the battalion. Battalion HQ at the Orchard. Frontage B18 b2 8 to B12 C6 9.

Enemy barrage came down within 1 minute of our own which was very irregular. Several casualties on the wire which was badly cut. ACoy had to cut through and B Coy found one gap only. Heavy MG fire came from Oppy Wood. Front Coys caught up the barrage at the support trench. Touch with 17th Middlesex by this time lost. Blue line was successfully captured and an advance made to the Brown line but owing to the failure of the 17th Middlesex on the right those that reached it had to return and the Blue Line (German Support) was the one finally consolidated. Sniping and machine gun fire was heavy from the wood and shelling of our position commenced in the afternoon. Two counter attacks were delivered in the morning and afternoon, but both were successfully beaten off. There was much sniping from roofs in OPPY.

Casualties for the day are listed as 4 officers and 38 O.R. killed, 1 officer and 42 O.R. missing, 7 officers and 180 wounded. Your great uncle is probably one of the missing.

Jim

There were, unfortunately no surviving maps in the diary so I have used Linesman to help you with positions. The start line from the diary is marked with flags on this later (July) 1917 trench map. You will see that the British front line had moved forward a little.

post-28845-1273430206.jpg

This is the same area on a 1:25000 to help if you visit.

post-28845-1273430267.jpg

Hope that all helps a bit. My work is all further south at the moment and earlier in the month so I don't have brigade or divisional diaries. They might have held better maps.

Jim

Just noticed it was your first post Stu - welcome to the Forum. If you want to learn more about the Great War you are in the right place! :D

Jim

Just noticed it was your first post Stu - welcome to the Forum. If you want to learn more about the Great War you are in the right place! :D

Jim

:rolleyes: Thanks Jim all that info is very helpful to allow me to understand the battle better, you have been most helpful

Stuart