Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Australian Insignia

drlbuchanan

Hi Everone, hope someone will be able to identify the "AUSTRALIA" insignia found along with some of my Grandfathers "Bits n' Pieces". These included the usual shoulder concave insignia seen on both WW1 and 2 uniforms, buttons and this unusual item. Contact with some of my collector friends have proved to be disappointing as they have seen these before, but cannot identify who or what units wore them. My Grandfather was with 8th Field Artillery Brigade H.Q

Cheers;Davidpost-32905-1273275426.jpg

To all those who have submitted responses to my inquery regarding the AUSTRALIA insignia, thanks a lot. I have just received a response from the Australian War Memorial Heraldry Section and their reply was:Paul Taylor <Paul.Taylor@awm.gov.au> wrote:

> Hello David,

>

> Thank you for your enquiry.

>

> While they are not common, the Australian War Memorial does hold several examples of

the straight AUSTRALIA shoulder titles in its collection. They appear to be a

variation (or aberration) - possibly by certain contracted makers - that are not

associated with a particular unit. We have different straight brass examples from the

First World War that were worn by a nurse, an infantryman and a gunner. A colleague has

advised me that he has seen Second World War examples as well.

>

> I hope this helps.

>

> Regards

>

> Paul

All AIF WW1 soldiers wore the curved Australia insignia on their shoulders. I can't recall having seen the straight one before.

You can search the NAA website for the service record this will give you all the details or the soldier. If you require help to decipher the dossier please do not hesitate to ask.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

Bright Blessings

Sandra

All AIF WW1 soldiers wore the curved Australia insignia on their shoulders. I can't recall having seen the straight one before.

You can search the NAA website for the service record this will give you all the details or the soldier. If you require help to decipher the dossier please do not hesitate to ask.

http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch.aspx

Bright Blessings

Sandra

Hi Sandra, I will give it a go but I have tried almost all of the Australian sites to no avail.

In fact some of the museums query the authencity of the pieces as they believe they could be repos.! but when I tell them they were with my Grandfather's pieces along with the common variety that throws them in a spin. I don't think they are that common but some members who are in a Collector's Club have seen them in the past and one gentleman who mounts medals and frames family items had seen them but they were silverplated and were from the Viet Nam era.

None of my Grandfathers' photos show him wearing these items and the only ones that have been depicted on WW1 sites show the traditional shoulder type.

Cheers;David

Buck,

I am not a badge person, but have you considered that it is from an early UK (?1915-early16) made war-expedient replacement or supplementary batch for the AIF? I say this as though it is the same typeface, the font is smaller and the badge is no wider than the larger curved originals which may suggest that the maker was told what typeface was required and how wide the badge was, but the person making the request may not have realised a smaller font could practicably be made.

Cheers,

Hendo

Buck,

I am not a badge person, but have you considered that it is from an early UK (?1915-early16) made war-expedient replacement or supplementary batch for the AIF? I say this as though it is the same typeface, the font is smaller and the badge is no wider than the larger curved originals which may suggest that the maker was told what typeface was required and how wide the badge was, but the person making the request may not have realised a smaller font could practicably be made.

Cheers,

Hendo

Hi Hendo, thanks for the info. As I have mentioned before, they are quite an unusual piece that have interested some of my friends.As military items that came with my Grandfather's bits n' pieces, they have attracted quite a bit of interest. I have contacted the Australian War Memorial in Canberra to see whether they can shed some light, if they can, I will get back to you with an update.

Cheers, Buck

David,

Have a look here (about half way down)-

http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-badges...lder-titles.htm

They have a similar listed as a WW1 nurses shoulder title, although it is noted as silver.

Scott

Hey Scott, you win the lucky door prize. This is one site that I didn't go on to but you have hit the nail on the head. Sgt. Daniel Joseph Duggan also had a sister who was a nurse in WW1, May Duggan. I am wondering if these pieces probably either belong to her or he picked them up when he was admitted to hospital after being gassed by the Germans. As these are not silver they may be field issued pieces.

Thanks a million mate.

Cheers;Buck

Hi Buck, I have the identical straight title. It is the same size and font, etc, as the normal title. It is definately bronze and not silver. We have a pair between us! Yours aye, Jim K

Hi Buck, I have the identical straight title. It is the same size and font, etc, as the normal title. It is definately bronze and not silver. We have a pair between us! Yours aye, Jim K

Thanks Jim,it is quite apparent that these items aren't very common amongst WW1 collectors. I belong to a Collectors Club and some of these guys have seen them in the past but it didn't click as to who wore them.

Cheers;Buck

I've got a few pairs in my collection but can't tell you much about them. The only ones I've seen are brass (oxidized and not), does anyone have a title with a makers name stamped on?

I've always thought of them as being private purchase, but can't back that up. What ever they turn out to be I like them!

Of the hundeds of photos in my collection this is the only photo (Infantryman) I've got of the straight AUSTRALIA titles being worn:-

post-3866-1274619463.jpg

'Yours Sincerely

Les

April 28/1919.'

Cheers,

Dan

I've got a few pairs in my collection but can't tell you much about them. The only ones I've seen are brass (oxidized and not), does anyone have a title with a makers name stamped on?

I've always thought of them as being private purchase, but can't back that up. What ever they turn out to be I like them!

Of the hundeds of photos in my collection this is the only photo (Infantryman) I've got of the straight AUSTRALIA titles being worn:-

post-3866-1274619463.jpg

'Yours Sincerely

Les

April 28/1919.'

Cheers,

Dan

Thanks a lot Les. Yes they are the ones, and this is the first time that I have actually seen them being worn. All my sources still cannot actually define as to when they were issued:either in Australia or when posted overseas. As my grandfather was in the Army prior to being posted o/s's, I am wondering if they were issued to Military personnel here in Australia.

Cheers;David

David,

I suppose with so little information on them it is feasible that they could be a pre war item. I've thought of them as being of a war time (British?) manufacture, but with only this photo to go off (April 1919) it isn't much.

I doubt they are an issue item as there is next to no photographic evidence of them being worn anywhere, they were on such a limited circulation that to me it could indicate them being a private purchase item.

Who knows?

Dan

David,

I suppose with so little information on them it is feasible that they could be a pre war item. I've thought of them as being of a war time (British?) manufacture, but with only this photo to go off (April 1919) it isn't much.

I doubt they are an issue item as there is next to no photographic evidence of them being worn anywhere, they were on such a limited circulation that to me it could indicate them being a private purchase item.

Who knows?

Dan

Hi Dan, nice to hear from you.One can only hope that there is an answer, but it is nice to get some interest circulating out there amongst WW1 collectors. It isn't very often that something turns up in a family "box of goodies" that creates such interest.

Cheers;David

Hi', years ago I had a full WW1 set that was complete and all matching, it comprised two straight 'australia' shoulder titles, two straight titles 'A.L.H' austalia light horse and a WW1 'rising sun' cap badge. The set was completely matching and looked like they were made by the same manufacturer. They were dark bronze. Wish I had them now.

good luck

khaki