Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Solomon Smith RGA RHA & RFA

steviechelle

Thanks Kevin would that have been where they would have been based prior to being sent to France?

Regards

Steven

Thanks headgardner that sounds pretty plausible. Do you know how I would find out when his battery was formed?

I'm afraid I don't. If no-one on here gets back to you on it, and there's no clear lead from TNA (like a war diary), then you might want to try the Royal Artillery museum.

That History of the AA Artillery sounds like it could yield results, but the dates in the title seem to suggest that it may only be a very general history.

Thanks headgardener really appreciate your help

Steven

Posted a thread on a genealogy forum to see if I can find out where he was buried. He died on 7th April 1946 in Ilford In Essex aged 50 and thought it might be worth a try to see if anyone knew where he might be buried

Quote, "Thanks Kevin would that have been where they would have been based prior to being sent to France?"

Yes. They never went to France at the time in question. Having just looked at his records look at pages 309429 and 309430.

Kevin

Sorry Kevin get you now - after he was wounded and recovered he served with an anti aircraft battery in England.

Thanks

Steven

Thats me had another good look over the long long trail regarding the RHA & RFA and now have a clearer picture of batteries, battalions etc

Just wanted to say thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Steven

I may be wrong but think 25 AA Coy was at Halifax, and 27 AA Coy was at Hull.

Kevin

This may suggest a home posting as a result of his injuries.