Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gordon Highlanders uniform?

Frank Burke

Hello,

I am a young reenactor with interest in reenacting a piper in the Gordon Highlanders during the Great War. I have several questions for you folks.

First, what equipment would a piper have carried? In period photos and footage that I've seen, the pipers just had the waist belts. I assume a piper would also carry a small pack, water bottle, and gas mask in the trenches and a large pack for the march. If anyone has any definitive information on this subject, please let me know.

My second question concerns the quality of items from Replicaters.com. What kind of quality are their World War One uniforms? I have talked to some people who like Replicaters and others who don't. Can anyone offer any help?

Thank you,

Frank

My second question concerns the quality of items from Replicaters.com. What kind of quality are their World War One uniforms? I have talked to some people who like Replicaters and others who don't. Can anyone offer any help?

The quality of Replicaters kit is usually abysmal, and I've seen a few of their creations that are monsters to rival Frankensteins! Most of the illustrations on their website are pictures of other peoples work or original kit nabbed off the web and portrayed as their own.

You might find the following website of help/interest:

http://gordonhighlanders1914-18.co.uk/

The quality of Replicaters kit is usually abysmal, and I've seen a few of their creations that are monsters to rival Frankensteins! Most of the illustrations on their website are pictures of other peoples work or original kit nabbed off the web and portrayed as their own.

You might find the following website of help/interest:

http://gordonhighlanders1914-18.co.uk/

Thanks Andrew, that confirms what I've been hearing all along. I admit I was tempted by Replicaters' prices, but now I've decided to just go with What Price Glory. His prices aren't too bad and he has almost everything I need.

Frank:

In terms of kit worn by pipers in the line, it is going to depend a little on which Battalion. In most cases it is going to be identical to all Other Ranks as they were generally employed in normal combat roles after the first few years of the war (casualties being heavy in leading attacks etc).

1st Bn pipers "employed in the Ranks"

2nd Bn pipers "runners, bearers and in the ranks" (played Bn over the top at Aubers, Mametz, Loos, Somme) in Italy as bearers (inc. getting wounded over a River in one incident)

4th Bn pipers "ammunition carriers" (played Bn over the top at Ypres in july 1917 and Cantaing also 1917 )

5th Bn pipers "employed principally in the ranks and as observers" (piped over the top at High Wood on the Somme piper Willox KIA)

6th Bn pipers "employed as strecher bearers" Played over the top at Neuve Chappelle and Loos Pipe Major Howarth won DCM and Bar in these actions)

8th/9th Bn pipers "principally as bearers"

(information from Pipes of War and various Bn accounts)

post-14525-1273354444.jpg

From my collection Pipe Major ISHowarth DCM and Bar.

Chris