Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Etaples Military Cemetery

Terry_Reeves

On a recent visit to Etaples cemetery, I noticed that there are many graves in pairs, and in the same rows; one date immediately preceding the other ie, 18th June and 19th June 1918.

A friend suggested that bodies may have been buried in layers. Given that the cemetery contains the remains of those who died in military hospitals in the area, this made sense. Can anybody confirm this?

Terry Reeves

I believe your thoughts are correct.

I visited last year and I have to say that it took my breath away.

It was a sunny day and as you know, you walk along the path and then look

down at rows and rows of graves.

It really took my breath away.

John

A panorama which does'nt really do it justice but gives an idea of how big it is.

The cemetery contains 8,767 British, 1,122 Canadians, 461 Australians, 261 New Zealanders, 67 South African, 28 West Indians, 18, Newfounlanders, 5 Indians, 1 Chinese, 47 Portuguese, 2 Belgians, 1 American and 655 German 1914 -1918 graves. 11,435 graves in total, an international tragic community. There are also 100 1939 – 45 graves.

Aye

Malcolm

post-19-1085584122.jpg

There are more than one Chinese there, there must be about 40 or so Chinese Labour Corps to your left as you look down from the front. The tall things at the front you see in Malcom's picture I think are folded tents. It's a beautiful cemetery. There were a group of British golfers at our very near motel who never stopped for a look.