Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A&SH Lewis Gunner uniform / medals on e-Bay

aramsay

Item #330428802739

Went for...........£3,300 !!!!!!!!!!!! :w00t:

I think I can see 2 Wound Stripes, but what is the reverse chevron-stripe above them ?

Lower left sleeve above wound stripes would be a good conduct badge.

Clickable link for ease of finding, yes it's a Good Conduct Stripe:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...%3D1&_rdc=1

That was an excellent grouping! Wish I had a few extra pennies! ( quire a few in this example ) I did place a bid.... It looked as though the tunic has regimental buttons and not GS. The LG badge has no wreath. Is it missing, of purposefully left off? Perhaps if the buyer is a forum member, they will share a few more images with us, such as the interior of the tunic and kilt for markings etc.

Cheers

Owain

Insane price and BWM is damaged no way in a dozen blue moons.

MC

My DIY valuation: jacket = 850 (regimental buttons don’t matter either way), kilt = 250, spats = 100, glengarry = 150, tam = 250, hosetops and garters = 100. I don’t know medals but will guess a liberal 100 for the trio. Not clear what if any of the stuff is actually named to him as the description is non-existent, but allowing an extra 200 for a named set gives £2K exactly. Agreed it is an excellent grouping, agreed also that the price was insane. Somebody wanted it badly, competing regimental collectors perhaps? Prices may be rising, but surely not this fast and this suddenly!

As posted on the other thread someone has reserved the Staffs tunic and cap from Bywize. That was £1850!!

TT

My DIY valuation: jacket = 850 (regimental buttons don't matter either way), kilt = 250, spats = 100, glengarry = 150, tam = 250, hosetops and garters = 100. I don't know medals but will guess a liberal 100 for the trio. Not clear what if any of the stuff is actually named to him as the description is non-existent, but allowing an extra 200 for a named set gives £2K exactly. Agreed it is an excellent grouping, agreed also that the price was insane. Somebody wanted it badly, competing regimental collectors perhaps? Prices may be rising, but surely not this fast and this suddenly!

Have to say I'm not complaining as bought an almost identical group (Seaforths and sans Trio) a few years ago for less than a quarter of this A&SH lot.

Cheers,

GT.

The LG badge has no wreath. Is it missing, of purposefully left off?

LG or MG with a wreath means a Lewis Gunner or Machine Gunner 1st Class. Without the wreath it's only 2nd Class. However, here it's worn over the Lance Corporal chevron on the right sleeve, which usually indicates an Instructor in that field. I find it hard to believe a man who only qualified 2nd class in the field would become an instructor, and the marks around the LG badge would seem to indicate a seperate wreath was originally there but has since gone walkabout.

Hello Troops,

I had no idea that there was a badged distinction between 1st and 2nd class qualifications. There is a similar uniform in the A&SH museum in Stirling castle. The tunic, I guess just post hostilities 7th A&SH, with the blue Battalion bars beneath an HD sign, LG above Cpl's chevrons, kilt and T.O.S. I had a chance to examine it closely before it went on display. The LG badge was off the jacket at the time, but has been placed with the back plate on the outside of the sleeve, not the inside...I must inform them sometime!

A quick though...exactly when did infantry in the 51st division start to wear the famous HD?

I was amongst the last to wear the HD...we lost it when we became the Royal Regiment of Scotland, and the 51st Highland Regiment, TA, became 7 Scots. We shoud have kept it as an honour, carrying the lineage of an iconic division.

Owain.