Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal Card help - Great Uncle Thomas Devlin

Guest sdev25

Guest sdev25

After discovering a 1994 newspaper article about my Great Uncle, THOMAS DEVLIN, which stated that he served in WWI with the Royal Dublin Fusiliers, I was able to find the attached medal card. My question is: I understand everything on the card except for the notes in the remarks section. Any help on these notations would be greatly appreciated.

By way of background, the newspaper article was published when he was 99 years old and mentioned that he served with the 6th Royal Dublin Fusiliers and was eventually transferred to France. It was interesting that the article made it seem as if his arrival in France happened shortly after he arrived in Salonika, which he described as a "stinking place" with terrible flies and food that had to be fumigated. He also stated that he left all of his medals behind in Scotland when he immigrated to the US in the early 1920's, which seems odd, but maybe that fact will help decipher the card. Lastly, the article stated that my great uncle's only "proof" of service in WWI was a photo of him and a fellow soldier, JOHN FITZGERALD, taken on leave in Cork, Ireland. The article has a photo of Thomas holding the WWI photo and I believe that Fitzgerald's Royal Dublin service number is 13555 as it was the only Fitzgerald card that I could find that matched the Unit/Theatre of War/Entry date of Thomas Devlin. In contrast, the Fitzgerald card has no information in the remarks section.

Again, many thanks.

post-18511-1273084502.jpg

SD

It looks as if he was 6th Battalion,which landed at Gallipoli (Theatre 2B) on the date on the card. It then went to Salonika after it was withdrawn in early 1916:

http://www.1914-1918.net/dubs.htm

The remarks column says Discharged 14.12.1918 and the medals were returned for some reason in 1923. Maybe there was something wrong on them and they were to be amended,or they were returned as not required. Some relatives protested in this way if they had lost their sons/husbands,maybe not so common for the soldier himself to return them,if indeed that happened.

Sotonmate