Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Medal card help

madgarry

I have been researching my grandfathers brother Philip Stephen Phillips 201412 CORPORAL ROYAL SCOTS FUSILIERS,where we need help is on his medal cards,1 card shows he received the war medal and the victory medal,we know he also was awarded the military medal but this isnt shown on the medal card,we have the medal and a copy of the page in the London Gazette dated July 16th 1918 where he is listed as receiving it,now why isnt it listed on his medal card ???? onto the other card for him it states his name and service number and the following R/28 NT21 AND Q what do these mean,we also have no idea where he and his regiment were serving when he won the mm,any help gratefully appreciated. Garry

Garry

The Medal Index Card you have is for his campaign medals and not for the gallantry medal. Although some of these cards are annotated with the gallantry award it isn't what these particular cards were meant for, there is another separate index card for the gallantry medal but unfortunately it's not available on Ancestry yet.

However, the MM card can be purchased from the National Archives site (£2.00) here..... http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/documen...p;resultcount=2.

The card should tell you the battalion he was with and the date the award was listed in the London Gazette.

Regards

Steve

Steve,

I keep coming across the separate cards for gallantry medals so I think they are on Ancestry: however, this one isn't particularly informative as it doesn't even mention the LG entry.

Name: Phillip Phillips

Regiment or Corps: R Scots Fusiliers

Regimental Number: 201412

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=Vi...mp;pid=10725773

Steve,

I keep coming across the separate cards for gallantry medals so I think they are on Ancestry: however, this one isn't particularly informative as it doesn't even mention the LG entry.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/iexec/?htx=Vi...mp;pid=10725773

I have both cards from Ancestry,the first is his normal medal card the other has the following on it R/28 NT21 AND Q and nothing else,its these abbreviations/codes that we need to know what they mean

Steve,

I'm not sure what that card is, nor what the abbreviations mean but it sure isn't an MM card. I'm certainly not convinced that it's the card I linked to in my earlier post, there are no ranks mentioned and the initials/forename is different to what would be written on the MM card and is shown on the National Archives description. I think there's another card available on the National Archives site that isn't on Ancestry.

I agree there are cards available on Ancestry for DCMs and MIDs gallantry awards but the MM cards, which we are talking about here, are not there.

Regards

Steve

Ok. To prove a point, to myself as well as anything, I've downloaded the card I linked to in my initial post.

It is NOT either of the cards available via Ancestry and is what I expected, i.e. a card for his MM.

Details shown are:

Awarded "The Military Medal" France

Surname: Phillips

Christian Name: P. S.

Corps: 1st Bn. R. S. Fus.

Date of Gazette: 16-7-18

Registered Paper: 68/121/554

Schedule Number: 173154

Garry, forum rules preclude me from posting the image here but, when you get to five posts, send me a PM and I'll happily send you a copy.

The London Gazette entry stated above and which I guess you've already got can be found here.... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/307...upplements/8325

Regards

Steve

Ok. To prove a point, to myself as well as anything, I've downloaded the card I linked to in my initial post.

It is NOT either of the cards available via Ancestry and is what I expected, i.e. a card for his MM.

Details shown are:

Awarded "The Military Medal" France

Surname: Phillips

Christian Name: P. S.

Corps: 1st Bn. R. S. Fus.

Date of Gazette: 16-7-18

Registered Paper: 68/121/554

Schedule Number: 173154

Garry, forum rules preclude me from posting the image here but, when you get to five posts, send me a PM and I'll happily send you a copy.

The London Gazette entry stated above and which I guess you've already got can be found here.... http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/307...upplements/8325

Regards

Steve

Many thanks Steve

Thanks for the link

cheers mate a very interesting site

I'm not sure what that card is, nor what the abbreviations mean but it sure isn't an MM card. I'm certainly not convinced that it's the card I linked to in my earlier post, there are no ranks mentioned and the initials/forename is different to what would be written on the MM card and is shown on the National Archives description. I think there's another card available on the National Archives site that isn't on Ancestry.

I agree there are cards available on Ancestry for DCMs and MIDs gallantry awards but the MM cards, which we are talking about here, are not there.

Regards

Steve

you are working hard on this one

cheers all for your help and assistance