Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Deborah in Flesquieres

harkerr@btinternet.com

Hi All

I'm sure someone out there will know the answer to this.

I have been trying to contact the people responsible for organising visits to see Deborah by e-mailing visite.org@tank-cambrai.com as instructed on their website but have had no reply.

Is this e-mail address dead, should I be e-mailing somewhere else or are they simply not doing visits at the moment?

Looking forward to your guidance.

Regards

Richard

Richard,

How long have you been waiting for a reply ?

Mick

Hi Mick

First e-mail sent 1st April & resent on 21st April, I'm sure I've got the address right(just checked again now to be sure!)

Richard

I had a feeling I had to wait a couple of days, but not that long.

I think he has a hotel, maybe a telephone call may be needed.

Mick

Thanks guys.

E-mail on its way.

Regards

Hiya,Richard.

You may find you get short shrift in reply or,you may be lucky.He's a nice bloke but,a busy one.

If you can let me know(that is if you get a negative reply)when you want to go,I will ask a mate to arrange a visit.

Dave.

Philippe GORCZYNSKI is rather busy but he did manage to show us Deborah last Thursday. Well worth it. We did stay at his hotel and enjoyed Philippe's extensive knowledge of tanks and the area. Hopefully, will get back to the Cambrai Battlefields next year for which the hotel is very convenient.

Bernard

Philippe GORCZYNSKI is rather busy but he did manage to show us Deborah last Thursday. Well worth it. We did stay at his hotel and enjoyed Philippe's extensive knowledge of tanks and the area. Hopefully, will get back to the Cambrai Battlefields next year for which the hotel is very convenient.

Bernard

Hi Bernard.

Maybe you can help .

While you were at Philippe's Hotel did you take notice of a story of a ( think Australian ) Soldier who used to rob the German soldiers and had a bounty put on is head .

The story is in one of the down stairs sitting rooms.

Did you or does anyone remember the story or his name.

Geoff

I think he's called BERNIE HIND or something similar.

Mick

Thanks Mick.

Will now try and look .

Try "Barney Hines" :rolleyes:;) :

http://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/fiftyaustralians/24.asp

Thanks Andrew.

Remember reading the story while at the hotel and always regreted

not making more detail to the story

have printed a copy

Geoff

QUOTE (Geoff Greensmith @ May 7 2010, 07:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks Andrew.

Remember reading the story while at the hotel and always regretted

not making more detail to the story

have printed a copy

Geoff

As you no doubt recall, there were other things to distract us Geoff. Errrrrm, Errrrm..............

As you no doubt recall, there were other things to distract us Geoff. Errrrrm, Errrrm..............

Yes indeed

Geoff

Yes indeed

Geoff

I presume the distraction was the pots of hot chocolate and massive slices of fruit cake, most happily received at Hotel Beatus and consumed from the depths of a comfortable armchair on a chilly and damp November evening after a day in the field ... or maybe something else?

Ian

do tell.

The distraction was one of our party who over indulged in a wonderful breakfast.

This was nothing to do with the wonderful service and welcome received at the hotel

Geoff

Ps maybe Peter can explain better with his french version

• 3 years later...

Can anyone tell me how to find the location that the tank is kept? I have an appointment there very soon and I don't know where in the village it is.

Help!

PM if necessary.

PM sent.

post-1365-0-07488200-1378481590_thumb.jpHis name is John (Barney) Hines.

Known as the "Souvenir King", he was born in Liverpool, of Irish descent. He served in the Boxer Rebellion in China, before seeing action in the Boer War. He then emigrate to Australia, where at the outbreak of the Great War, despite being over the age forty, he succeeded in joining the Army. Once at the Western front he refused to use a rifle,preferring to carry two sandbags of hand grenades. As a result of his penchant for taking items from German corpses, the Kaiser placed Hines on nhis personal wanted list. Nevertheless he survived the war.

• 3 years later...

I know the picture of The Souvenir King.

But can anyone send me more details on the life story of John 'Barney' Hines?

Preparing a short story for young people about WW1.

Can I suggest that you pop in to Le Tommy at Pozieres.

Dominique has laminated A4 printed copies of 'Barney's' war exploits, but the only details of his life after WW1 are that he volunteered for WW2 but was turned down because of his age, now in his 60s - he stowed away on a troop ship but was caught and put ashore. Between the wars he served as a drover, shearer, prospector and timber cutter, dying in Concord Repatriation Hospital in Sydney on 30 January 1958.

John