Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte John.T.Spraggins.Suffolk Regiment

coldstreamer20

Hi pals,Any idea what battalion of the Suffolk Regiment 18216 Pte John T Spraggins was in? Thanks in advance,regards,Paul.

His medal card (as noted on the Free Index on Ancestry) says 7th Battalion (35th Brigade of 12th Division). The date of entry on the 1914-15 Star qualification is a few months later than the original contingent, however.

Steve.

Hi Steve

one of my relatives was in the 11th Suffolks from March 2 1918 until his death on April 13 1918. Is that at the same time as Percy Brooksbank ?

Percy joined the 11th Suffolks just before the attack on the Chemical Works at Rouex in April 1917 (he had been a pre-war Reservist but Pleurisy delayed his recall) and was wounded in October 1917 at Proven. He returned to the 11th Suffolks in November 1917 and stayed with them through to 21 March 1918 (barring a week sick in early January and some leave to get married in February 1918) when he was wounded in the German offensive. He didn't make it back to France after that.

So he would have been serving with your relative from 2 to 21 March 1918, I presume.

Steve.

Hi Steve

yes your right. My chap's name was Second Lieutenant R. E. Cook

I have the war diary account of operations for March 21 and subsequent days - send me a pm if your interested.

cheers

Renny

Thanks for the offer Renny, but I already have a copy of the War Diary for March 1918.

Steve.