Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Searching for Liverpool Regiment info

Hesadevil

Hi

My name is Pat. I have been researching my family history for decades and have, recently, had success tracing six great uncles who served in WW1.

I am looking for information on my great uncle George Elphick, who was with the Liverpool Regiment - 25995, and was wounded in 1916 at the first Somme Offensive. Could anyone tell me where I might find any? I have his medal card and a citation in the Manchester Roll of Honour book but can find nothing more.

Hi

Is this him from the 1911 census ?

8 Corby St West Gorton Manchester

KING, James Head Married M 30 1881 Mineral Water Carter Lancashire Manchester

KING, Harriett Wife 11 years F 33 1878 Lancashire Manchester

KING, James Son M 9 1902 School Lancashire Manchester

KING, Frederick Son M 8 1903 School Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, Harry Boarder Single M 24 1887 Spindle Maker Iron Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, John Boarder Single M 22 1889 Turner Iron Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, George Boarder Single M 20 1891 Labourer Oil Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, Stanley Boarder Single M 19 1892 Carter Oil Works Lancashire Manchester

Graeme

H

There are two files at Kew Archives which will help you to find his Battalion:

The SWB reference H/864 on the Card refers to the Silver War Badge issue to him on discharge on 22.2.1917 and the original List is files in WO329/3072 there. His campaign medals have an original Medal Roll contained in WO329/813 which will show the Battalion he served on first arrival into a war theatre. From this you can trace the War Diary and the Bns actions.

I found no ref to a service or pension record on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

Hi

Is this him from the 1911 census ?

8 Corby St West Gorton Manchester

KING, James Head Married M 30 1881 Mineral Water Carter Lancashire Manchester

KING, Harriett Wife 11 years F 33 1878 Lancashire Manchester

KING, James Son M 9 1902 School Lancashire Manchester

KING, Frederick Son M 8 1903 School Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, Harry Boarder Single M 24 1887 Spindle Maker Iron Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, John Boarder Single M 22 1889 Turner Iron Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, George Boarder Single M 20 1891 Labourer Oil Works Lancashire Manchester

ELPHICK, Stanley Boarder Single M 19 1892 Carter Oil Works Lancashire Manchester

Graeme

That's him - and my great uncle Stanley (discharged as unfit after basic training), John and Harry.

H

There are two files at Kew Archives which will help you to find his Battalion:

The SWB reference H/864 on the Card refers to the Silver War Badge issue to him on discharge on 22.2.1917 and the original List is files in WO329/3072 there. His campaign medals have an original Medal Roll contained in WO329/813 which will show the Battalion he served on first arrival into a war theatre. From this you can trace the War Diary and the Bns actions.

I found no ref to a service or pension record on Ancestry UK.

Sotonmate

Thank you for this. There is an entry for him in the Roll of honoour that mentions he enlisted in January 1915, saw heavy fighting in France from June 1915 onwards and was wounded in October 1916 during the Somme Offensive. He was treated in the Miltary Hospital at Colchester. Do I need to visit Kew to trace his battalion and, from there the war diaries? I thought that Kew kept soldiers service records.

Pat