Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Berkshire Regiment and Military Police Corps.

jmiles487

My Great Grandfather Thomas Glew was in 9th (Territorial Reserve) Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment 16444 and the Military Foot Police P/4255 from 22nd September 1916. Born around 1874, not sure where (maybe Chichester) and died just after WWI on 5th January 1919 in Oxford hospital. He has a CWGC white gravestone with Military Police Insignia on it and is burried in Easthapstead Parish Churchyard.

I have three questions, if anyone can expand on my limited amount of information been able to gather so far on Thomas Glew.

1. If, he did not serve overseas or see action, why did he obtain a CWGC white gravestone, especially after dying after the war had ended?

2. If anyone has any additional details at all on his Royal Berkshire Regiment OR Military Police details I would love to find out.

3. Can not find anywhere, exactly where and when he was born as this is stopping me agthering further information on the Glew side of my family tree. From 1901 and 1911 census, he has place of birth different in both which have turned out to be wrong in both cases.

I have already written to RMP Museum, but nothing much back I am afraid.

Thank you very much for any information or direction I need to take to find some more information on my Great Grandfather.

Hi

1911 census (I believe but dont take my word for it)

GLEW, Thomas Head Married M 34 1877 Gardener Domestic Sunninghill Berks (Married 11 years)

GLEW, Harriett Wife F 34 1877 Bracknell Berks

GLEW, Tom Son M 7 1904 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, William Everard Son M 6 1905 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, Charles Frederick Son M 5 1906 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, Robert Stanley Son M 2 1909 Sunninghill Berks

1, Rose Cottages, Oriental Row, Sunninghill.

Graeme

Hi

This site says he was born in Chichester and that his is on SDGW as CLEW (which he, indeed, is ).

http://www.corpsofmilitarypolice.org/soldier/4692/

Regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme,

Thank you so much for that MFP website, most useful. So it seems he was born in Chichester which will relate to my line of research for him to date. It seems he was illigitimate which is probably why he did not give real place of birth on census records.

SDGW is that another website?

Thank you again for the website, I have a picture of the gravestone, so I can try and upload that for the site as it needs one.

Thanks again.

John

Hi

1911 census (I believe but dont take my word for it)

GLEW, Thomas Head Married M 34 1877 Gardener Domestic Sunninghill Berks (Married 11 years)

GLEW, Harriett Wife F 34 1877 Bracknell Berks

GLEW, Tom Son M 7 1904 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, William Everard Son M 6 1905 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, Charles Frederick Son M 5 1906 School Sunninghill Berks

GLEW, Robert Stanley Son M 2 1909 Sunninghill Berks

1, Rose Cottages, Oriental Row, Sunninghill.

Graeme

Thanks Graeme for the above also, it is indeed 1911 Census, I finally found the family listed under Clew here and updated it on the records. As you can see, he listed place of birth as Sunninhill, Berkshire which is not correct and as previous post believe it was Chichester, with illigitimate parents. My Grandfather John Percy Glew was born just after 1911 census in May 1912.

John

Hi John

SDGW is Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Was published after the war listing all war dead, now on a CD.

Your entry reads

Acting Lance Corporal P/4255 Thomas Clew, Foot Branch, Corps of Military Police

Born Chichester

Enlisted Workingham

Resided Bracknell

Formerly 16444 Royal Berks.

Died 5/1/19

Regards,

Graeme

Hi John

SDGW is Soldiers Died in the Great War.

Was published after the war listing all war dead, now on a CD.

Your entry reads

Acting Lance Corporal P/4255 Thomas Clew, Foot Branch, Corps of Military Police

Born Chichester

Enlisted Workingham

Resided Bracknell

Formerly 16444 Royal Berks.

Died 5/1/19

Regards,

Graeme

Dear Graeme,

Thank you so much for that information, you have been such agreat help. :thumbsup:

I will have to get that CD I think, will be most useful and also will not take up time such as yours ascould have found that info if I had the cd.

Many thanks again.

Best Regards

John

John,

My pleasure, thats what we are all here for.

The CD is rather expensive and I have seen threads on the Forum stating that it does not run on Windows 7, so be careful.

The information is also on Ancestry.co.uk in their Military Section.

Regards,

Graeme

This might explain the diffrence in Thomas's birth locations, from the 1881 census:

TURNER, Mark, Head, Single, Farm Lab, born 1861 in Sunney Hill, Berkshire

GLUE, Susan, Housekeeper, Single, Housekeeper Dom born 1851 in St Francis, Chichester

GLUE, Thomas, Son, Single, Scholar, born 1877 in Burstow Surrey

Also. Cant find a birth registration for him, not under Glue, Glew, Clew anyway

Grant

Hi,

The reason your GGF has a CWGC headstone is because the CWGC commemorates those who have died during the designated war years in service or of causes attributable to service. The war years are considered to be,

World War I - 4 August 1914 to 31 August 1921

World War II - 3 September 1939 to 31 December 1947

Alan

John,

My pleasure, thats what we are all here for.

The CD is rather expensive and I have seen threads on the Forum stating that it does not run on Windows 7, so be careful.

The information is also on Ancestry.co.uk in their Military Section.

Regards,

Graeme

Graeme,

Thanks again, saw that the cd was quite expensive, will have to save up I think. Thomas not on ancestry military that I can see.

Post below seems to have some ideas along the same lines as me re his birth etc.

Thanks again.

John

This might explain the diffrence in Thomas's birth locations, from the 1881 census:

TURNER, Mark, Head, Single, Farm Lab, born 1861 in Sunney Hill, Berkshire

GLUE, Susan, Housekeeper, Single, Housekeeper Dom born 1851 in St Francis, Chichester

GLUE, Thomas, Son, Single, Scholar, born 1877 in Burstow Surrey

Also. Cant find a birth registration for him, not under Glue, Glew, Clew anyway

Grant

Hi Grant,

Wow, thank you for this information, it does look possible, always thought might be illigitimate which might still be the case.

So is this Mark Turner his father? I have I think from his marriage certificate his fathers name again is Thomas!!

More in depth esearch I think to try and solve this one, if i can at all!!

Thank you again Grant.

All the best

John

Hi,

The reason your GGF has a CWGC headstone is because the CWGC commemorates those who have died during the designated war years in service or of causes attributable to service. The war years are considered to be,

World War I - 4 August 1914 to 31 August 1921

World War II - 3 September 1939 to 31 December 1947

Alan

Thanks Alan,

For clearing that up for me, its just nice to know that even though he did not see action, they are classed along with ones that did, although subsequently loosing their lives.

Many Thanks.

John

So is this Mark Turner his father? I have I think from his marriage certificate his fathers name again is Thomas!!

Dont think so, Mark TURNER and Susan GLEW married in 1881 - Reigate / 2A / 231 / 2qt / 1881

Grant

Dont think so, Mark TURNER and Susan GLEW married in 1881 - Reigate / 2A / 231 / 2qt / 1881

Grant

Even though married after Thomas was born, still could be illigitimate child of them both, OR another father entirely with christian name of Thomas. This may be very wrong though.

Thanks for the inputs Grant, not sure ever going to get to bottom of this one unfortunately, thus stopping the Glew line of my family tree before it started.

Thanks again.

John

My Great Grandfather Thomas Glew was in 9th (Territorial Reserve) Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment 16444 and the Military Foot Police P/4255 from 22nd September 1916. Born around 1874, not sure where (maybe Chichester) and died just after WWI on 5th January 1919 in Oxford hospital. He has a CWGC white gravestone with Military Police Insignia on it and is burried in Easthapstead Parish Churchyard.

I have three questions, if anyone can expand on my limited amount of information been able to gather so far on Thomas Glew.

1. If, he did not serve overseas or see action, why did he obtain a CWGC white gravestone, especially after dying after the war had ended?

2. If anyone has any additional details at all on his Royal Berkshire Regiment OR Military Police details I would love to find out.

3. Can not find anywhere, exactly where and when he was born as this is stopping me agthering further information on the Glew side of my family tree. From 1901 and 1911 census, he has place of birth different in both which have turned out to be wrong in both cases.

I have already written to RMP Museum, but nothing much back I am afraid.

He was born in Chichester and enlisted 12/1/1915 joining the 9th (Service) Battalion Royal Berkshire Regiment.

This was converted to be the 37th Training Reserve Regiment 1/9/1916 and he was renumbered TR/8/16164

From here he was transferred to the Corps of Military Foot Police as P/4255

He died 5/1/19 and is buried at Easthampstead Church (Bracknell) and is recorded oon the Easthampstead War memorial

His address was given as 6 Searle St, Easthampstead.

regards

John

Thank you very much for any information or direction I need to take to find some more information on my Great Grandfather.

FAO: Purley

Thank you very much for the additional information you have supplied although it took me a few minutes to decipher what was said.

The address at 6 Searle street is correct. The Easthampstead war memorial I believe is actually inside the parish church, if not then his name although not seen it, is on a plaque inside the parish church also. It was closed when I visited his grave, so could not gain access.

Thanks again for the information and perhaps I can find out some additional details now along the Glew line for my family tree.

John