Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kent Soldiers Taylor & Burden

boltzmann69

Hi All,

Great forum...new here and thought I'd ask a couple of things.

I started on this family tree thing a few weeks ago and have two soldiers (great uncles) who fell in the great war.

Name:

TAYLOR

Initials:

A P

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Private

Regiment/Service:

Lincolnshire Regiment

Unit Text:

8th Bn.

Date of Death:

05/04/1918

Service No:

Name:

BURDEN

Initials:

E J

Nationality:

United Kingdom

Private

Regiment/Service:

Middlesex Regiment

Unit Text:

2nd Bn.

Date of Death:

26/04/1918

Service No:

G/96892

Thanks to Ancestry I've got the service records and medal index for Edward John Burden but unfortunately I've only been able to find the medal index for Albert Percy Taylor and no service record. As I understand a lot of records were lost during the blitz. I wonder if I can confirm this some how? I'd hate to miss a record due to a poor search. I'd like to find out as much as possible about these two brave men so any hints/tips on sources of information would be great. Obviously the family is a good start but of the couple left nobody has anything it would seem. No photographs or medals, which is a shame. A war memorial question, are they always in the soldiers hometown/city or the regiments?

Thanks to Mick at British War Graves I've got pictures of both headstones and cemeteries in Northern France where both these men lay. It's just amazing at how emotional for me this has all become, and I plan on visiting both graves in the future. As a thank you I've offered to photograph war graves in my area for this wonderful resource.

Paul.

Burden EJ Private

G/96892

26/04/1918

Middlesex regiment

2nd Battalion

Fouquescourt British Cemetery

France

Grave ref II. I.3

Ianander

Burden EJ Private

G/96892

26/04/1918

Middlesex regiment

2nd Battalion

Fouquescourt British Cemetery

France

Grave ref II. I.3

Ianander

Ianander, I've got that info as above but thanks anyway.

Not much else you can do in terms of the service records to be honest, you could try to obtain a copy of the war diaries or request via 'Document Look-up'. The more you ask the more you will uncover.

Try alternative spellings of the names or narrowing your serach options. (I'm no ancestry expert)!

Long, Long Trail (this screen top left will guide you).

Good luck

• Admin
A war memorial question, are they always in the soldiers hometown/city or the regiments?

Welcome to the forum

Usually in the home town, often in their Church or Chapel, possibly in their workplace.

These sites may help

For Kent

http://www.roll-of-honour.com/Kent/

and the UK National Inventory of War Memorials

http://www.ukniwm.org.uk/

As stated above the LLT will indicate where they were killed e.g. Taylor was killed at the Battle of Ancre or the final stage in the German Spring Offensive in 1918.

Ken

btw wish I could find one service record for every two soldiers searched - you were lucky, statistically it's about 1 in 3 survived. My hit rate is about 1 in 5!

Hello and welcome to the Forum.

No.42754 Pte. Albert Percy Taylor 8/Lincs (37th Division) was originally attached to the 51/GRAD (or Training Reserve) Battalion of the Royal West Surrey Regt., No.156954, the unit he would have trained with. Many of the county regiments had these training units. Bedfordshire's, Notts & Derby's, RWSurrey's, RWKent's, The royal Lancs, to name a few.

If you let me have your email address, I can send his BW/V Medal Roll. He is listed along with many other young men who would have been with the Lincolnshire battalions, the were in numbered batches.

His high number 42754 suggests that he was a mid-1917 entrant.

Probably, one of the men (26 KIA) at the Battle of the Ancre.

I have an interest in this battle, as my girlfriend/partner had a Great Uncle who was KIA/Missing/not listed anywhere but in the local press of the time.

No 21314 Cpl. Frank Hill 8/Lincs., a Policeman from Epworth/Scunthorpe, born in Huttoft, Mablethorpe, Lincs. 1890.

He has now received recognition and will be listed with other men on the Arras memorial.

Go to the bottom of the link for Frank Hill.

http://www.cwgc.co.uk/Ebayrules.htm

No.42754 Pte. A P Taylor gets a mention here in an old thread I remember finding. Scroll down to find the list. Alot of the lads KIA with the 8/Lincs were so in the April of 1918. I wonder how many were on the 5th?

Cheers,

Dick

I have just got in from work, but if you want to wait until my days off, I can send you a copy or type you up a detailed account of the Battle of the Ancre where Albert P Taylor was KIA on 05/04/1918.

(unless of course, someone else would like to do the bizz from Simpson's)

Dick Whitworth

CT-Guards said:
Try alternative spellings of the names or narrowing your serach options. (I'm no ancestry expert)!

Yes I've got a the same family member that appears as Marie, Maria amd Mara on differnet documents and Flemish got interpreted as Fleant!!

Thanks Ken, I had looked at that site the other day and didn't really digest all the info but a second look and both soldiers names appear on the war memorial in the Butter Market at Canterbury!! Being Canterbury people and the only ones that appear I'm sure they're the soldiers.

http://www.kentfallen.com/PDF%20REPORTS/CA...BURY%20CITY.pdf

Understood about 1 in 5. I guess I got lucky! And lucky again with the war memorial.

Bingo794 said:
I have just got in from work, but if you want to wait until my days off, I can send you a copy or type you up a detailed account of the Battle of the Ancre where Albert P Taylor was KIA on 05/04/1918.

(unless of course, someone else would like to do the bizz from Simpson's)

Dick Whitworth

Dick, many thanks for all the info including the Medal Roll. Yes I'd be very interest in a copy of an account of the battle. But in your own time of course. If you think I can do anything for you then please let me know, of course that goes for anyone else.

Many thanks all for your help,

Paul.

Kent? Anything I can help you with...

Thanks for the offer Neil, I think I'm okay at moment but always looking for tips, info etc.

I think historical local papers (Kentish Gazette) might be my next look in the hope of turning up a pic or two.

Paul.

Okay, I wish you good luck Paul.

I could do with a few tips myself lol... Remember we are ALL learning and no one person "knows it all" despite what some odd people may think and say! I can think of a select few that almost do though (and that doesn't include myself)....lol

If ever I can help with Kent memorials etc... just email me and I will be glad to help out. My email is on my profile.

Neil

Dick, many thanks for all the info including the Medal Roll. Yes I'd be very interest in a copy of an account of the battle. But in your own time of course. If you think I can do anything for you then please let me know, of course that goes for anyone else.

Many thanks all for your help,

Paul.

Hi Paul, I will get back to you in a couple of days with a quick type up of the passage by Simpson.

Dick

• 2 weeks later...

I've been lucky enough to get a picture of Pte Edward John Burden from his last surviving sister. Not the best as it's a copy of a copy etc but better than nothing.

4622457086_bcf36f3247_b.jpg

And here is his father, also Edward John who would've been mid to late thirties during 14-18. I know nothing about his military service etc so any info would be great. Is he Royal Artillery?

4621853395_ed1dbda1bb_b.jpg

Cheers,

Paul.

Look as though I've found the MIC for Edward senior above. Could some kind sole tell me what the codes mean in the "cause of discharge" section and also the badge reference?

4624379400_4f27e30f79_b.jpg

• Admin

Para 392 Kings Regulations (xvi) no longer physically fit for war service

The reference by the SWB is I think the date applied for/issued

if I'm wrong someone will put us right!

Ken

• 2 months later...

Paul,

Bung me an email, please.

Cheers,

Dick

Paul,