Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

8441 Private P O'Neill, 2nd Connaught Rangers

corisande

It came up on an earlier thread here that this man was on a list of 2nd Connaught Rangers Prisoners who were sent to Zossen. Only the Irish Brigade members were transferred there

8441 Private P O'Neill, Georges St, Chicago, USA

Apart from this and his MIC. I have little on him, apart from him being a labourer before enlisting on Casement's list (not much help)

Can anyone give me a rough enlistment date for 8441. And feel free to add anything else. I have no idea why he came from USA

Hi,

Closest numbers I have for 1st & 2nd Battalions are below

8246 1904 Sept 9

8250 1904 Oct

8596 1905 Sept 15

Regards Mark

Hi,

There is a Private O NEILL, Patrick Single . 30 1881 Queens Co Abbeyleix on the 1911 Census for the 1st Battalion in India.

Regards Mark

Also

Private O NEILL, Patrick Single . 29 1882 Co Dublin Dublin

Mark

Thanks Mark, That's what I was getting at with his date of enlistment, as to whether he could have been in 1911 census or was still back in USA.

Funny with most of these men it is a question of adding all the little bits together to see if one can make a bigger sum!

Off to explore Abbeyleix O'Neills now, I feel Rootschat coming on.

Keogh, the Irish Brigade Sgt Major, has O'Neill as coming from Dublin, so the second option may be the one I will explore first.

Keogh is not the most accurate of writers, but manages to get most of them right.

Is there any way of extracting "Overseas Military" from version of 1901 Census on Ancestry, similar to the way one can see who was serving in , say, India in 1911 census.

Mark

I ran the query on Rootschat too, and it seems that Overseas soldiers were indeed ignored/forgotten in 1901 census.

Nobody has given me a definitive answer as to what exactly soldier's status was in 1901 status, but consensus is that you cannot get anything from 1901 for soldiers serving outside UK