Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Locating a field burial record

UreFamilyhistorian

My researches have now confirmed that my relative 2nd Lt William Bruce Seymour Ure was killed in action on the 7th October 1916 during the 32nd Royal Fusiliers attack on Bayonet Trench nr Guedecourt. I now have a copy of the letter sent by his Major Eric Cooper to my relatives fiance describing how his body was recovered at dusk and given a proper burial. That letter stated that the burial location was reported to the Graves Registration Officer. There is no identified grave.

I have read through the LLT and some relevant posts on the forum however I am uncertain as to where I go next. If graves at that location were sought (as sounds likely) after the war do I ask CWGC?, if no graves were found there who can tell me?, if unidentifiable remains were found where are they buried? and if not where might I find those details given to the Graves Registration officer to find the general area of the field burial?

I can pinpoint now the site of the attack from war diaries but a likely location for his remains would now be helpful.

Ure - The ODITGW, CWGC, and War Office indexes all show him as "Seymour-Ure". His surviving service papers are in WO339/50054 at TNA and it would be worth searching those in case there is any mention of his original burial.

Would be interesting to hear what response you get if you contacted CWGC and asked what they may have, though I suspect that if they dont have a re-burial record then the answer will be nil.

A physical search of the GWGC cemeteries closest to Guedecourt may find an "unknown officer" (or similar wording) of the Royal Fusiliers, but you would be able to do no more than speculate.

regards - Tom

Tom

Thanks for the reply. I will contact CWGC and see what they have. I need to get them to ammend their records as they have him killed between 4th and 10th October 1916 when my letter and his service record clearly state it was on the 7th he died.

Thanks again

Ure - The ODITGW, CWGC, and War Office indexes all show him as "Seymour-Ure". His surviving service papers are in WO339/50054 at TNA and it would be worth searching those in case there is any mention of his original burial.

Would be interesting to hear what response you get if you contacted CWGC and asked what they may have, though I suspect that if they dont have a re-burial record then the answer will be nil.

A physical search of the GWGC cemeteries closest to Guedecourt may find an "unknown officer" (or similar wording) of the Royal Fusiliers, but you would be able to do no more than speculate.

regards - Tom