Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11 (Service) Bn The Rifle Brigade

jim489558

My Great Uncle was reported Killed in Action on 3 Sept 1916, 11 Bn were then at Guillemont. Does 'Killed in Action' include 'Died of Wounds' or can I conclude he was indeed killed on that day. I have an original trench map dated that day. Does anyone know which trenches were occupied by 11 Bn?

jim489558,

'The Great War Handbook' by Geoff Bridger sums up the three main categories of death thus:

Killed in action - those who perished as direct result of the war

Died of wounds - those who perished as a direct result of war after being first received alive at a medical unit

Died - Those who died anywhere from non-military causes such as disease or accident

I hope that helps to answer the first part of your query. Good luck in your research.

moulie11

I've a copy of the war diary - it includes some casualty lists which may show when your man was wounded - what was his name, rank and army number?

According to the WD on the 3rd Sept - 22 Other Ranks were killed, 171 wounded and 11 missing

The war diary also includes the operation orders which give coordinates for start lines and objectives etc which may help tell you where they attacked from and to.

Please PM me with your man's name and I can email you the relevant pages in a day or two.

Colin

My Great Uncle was reported Killed in Action on 3 Sept 1916, 11 Bn were then at Guillemont. Does 'Killed in Action' include 'Died of Wounds' or can I conclude he was indeed killed on that day. I have an original trench map dated that day. Does anyone know which trenches were occupied by 11 Bn?

Jim,

20th (Light) Division's attack on Guillemont has been extensively covered here on the Forum in the past and IIRC there some excellent topics.

Have you tried a Forum Search?

Include the KRRC as well as the RB and you should turn them up.

Cheers,

Mark

Cant seem to send a PM. Relative was Pte W Gladwin S/5859 . I have some information but would be interested in cas lists and war diary for 3rd Sept. Also cant find details of start line. I have a trench map, updated by hand for 3 Sept but front trenches are not named.

Any help really appreciated.

Jim jim489558@btinternet.com

I've a copy of the war diary - it includes some casualty lists which may show when your man was wounded - what was his name, rank and army number?

According to the WD on the 3rd Sept - 22 Other Ranks were killed, 171 wounded and 11 missing

The war diary also includes the operation orders which give coordinates for start lines and objectives etc which may help tell you where they attacked from and to.

Please PM me with your man's name and I can email you the relevant pages in a day or two.

Colin