Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

East Lancashire

susan kitchen

Does anyone know where the 2nd Battalion East Lancashire Regiment was 16 April 1915. All help greatfully recieved.

Susan

S

Four died on that day from the 2 ELR. Two (Draycott and Potter) of wounds and buried in Boulogne,and two (Hanley and McEvoy) killed and remembered on Ploegsteert Memorial as they have no known grave. Their group, 24 Brigade of 8 Division, are on the ORBAT for Neuve Chapelle and subsequent actions.

The Bn War Diary is at Kew under WO95/1719 and will be precise in where they were on that day.

Sotonmate

It was forward of Fleurbaix.

Diary: "The section of trenches held by 2/ELR was No 5 Section of the 8th Division[al front] and was subdivided into 5P and 5Q. 5P, which was held by 1 Company ran from N.6.c.4.8 to N.6.b.1.2. 5Q, held by two platoons, prolonged the line on the left up to N.6.b.1.4. The remaining two platoons were in support in a redoubt (5J) at H.36.c.5.0. Behind 5J was another fortified post (5Y) H.36.a.1.3 not held. Battalion HQ on the Rue (Delpierre) H.35.c.9.3".

16 April: "C & D Companies in trenches. A & B in Bde reserve. Communication established with Bde by lamp. 8pm: Considerable firing throughout the night. Fine. 2 killed".

I'm sure someone can provide a map with the locations described.

Susan

Adding maps to Chris' descriptions, care of Linesman. The first coordinate Chris has doesn't seem to fit with the Dec 1915 trench map which is the earliest I have so maybe there was a realignment of trenches sometime April to December.

post-28845-1272814951.jpg

and a modern showing the equivalent places (the flags)

post-28845-1272815022.jpg

Hope they add a little info.

Jim

Sotonmate, Chris and Jim. Thanks for the information. One of the two who were killed, Draycott was one of mine and it's interesting to know where a soldier was as near to the day of death as can be found. So Sotonmate i'll be sure to get the diary entry from kew. Sorry i wasn't able to thank you all yesterday when i put the post on the Forum.

Susan.