Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

When was he wounded?

archangel9

Hi,

A soldier who was wounded at 1st Ypres was admitted to Hospital in Rouen on 1/11/1914. When was he likely to have been wounded considering he probably arrived at Rouen via Field Ambulance and Casualty Clearing Station?

Cheers.

John

http://www.1914-1918.net/wounded.htm

Only four Amb Trains in 1914 but then the active theatre wasn't as large as later. I would say not more than 2 days in transit to Hospital.

Sotonmate

Thanks Sotonmate. Which of the CCS's would he have been brought to if he was 5th Brigade, 2nd Division.

John

John

Hard to say which one. He would likely have been processed through one of the three Field Ambulances (4/5/6) of 2 Division,to either Hazebrouck (CCS 3 and 5) or maybe St Omer (CCS 1 and 9),the former was closer to the Ypres theatre,and there may have been others to be routed through,much depended on casualty streams, I would say. Both of these places were on the all-important rail routes to the Channel ports and Rouen (where a trip down the Seine comes out to the ocean at Le Havre).

Only CCS3 has any surviving records of the four and it's files at Kew begin on 12 November 1914 with MH106/281,so if that was his then there are no hopes of a record,as there certainly isn't with the other three. FA War Diaries don't seem to carry detail such as individuals,wounds, and disposal etc, merely the day-to-day positions,numbers through,staff movements etc.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate,

Thanks for all your help. Pity about the CCS records not surviving but just knowing the most likely FA and CCS gives me something to go on anyway.

Cheers

John