Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

RFC Portrait and Wings

mark holden

I picked up this super photo at an Antiques Fair yesterday. Within the frame are a set of RFC wings. They look absolutely genuine but I am not an expert so opinions welcome-sadly the photo is unamed.

thanks

Mark

post-11424-1272795325.jpg

Wings

Close up

post-11424-1272795456.jpg

post-11424-1272795521.jpg

The shape of the wings, with the left side slightly higher than the right, look exactly like the ones the Pilot is wearing in the photo which suggests to me that they are one and the same.

Lovely.

The shape of the wings, with the left side slightly higher than the right, look exactly like the ones the Pilot is wearing in the photo which suggests to me that they are one and the same.

Lovely.

Can't be Taff I'm afraid - look how closely the edgings trimmed to the embroidery underneath the RFC/wreath on the photo. If you look now at the actual wings there's quite a bit of the border left in the same place.

As someone who sews RFC wings onto jackets and removes them for a living (!) you always find that the edges fray when you remove them. The chances of finding a repro one of the exact design must be almost nil!

I'm sure that the wing isn't the one in the picture. The lower edge of the wreath is about level and in a line with the lower edge of the wings, whilst in the picture the wreath dips well below the lower wing edge.

A nice genuine RFC wing nevertheless.

I bow to greater collective wisdom!

Nevertheless, it is still a very close match considering how many different styles of RFC wings were available at the time.