Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Highland Light Infantry

Guest barbbraswell102

Guest barbbraswell102

Hi!

This is my first time using this forum. I am researching a soldier named Denis McGoldrick who served in the Highland Light Infantry, beginning in 1901. He has three different regiment numbers for the HLI. He then served in the Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, leaving in 1915. I have not been able to find any records on him other than the Medal Rolls Index Cards. Can someone tell me why there may not be any records and why he may have had separate numbers while serving in the Highland Light Infantry.

Thank you very much

Barbara

Barbara

Welcome to the Forum !

You need to read the Card in the right sequence ! He served with the Inniskillings from 1901 to 1913 as No 6876. Probably time-served at that point and re-joined the Colours from Reserve in 1914 with the HLI. He first went overseas as 12430 (to France) during the Great War on 28.7.1915 (the date you have read as him leaving the Army?). He seems to have been in a reinforcement batch to France as no fresh Battalion of the HLI landed on27 July 1915. So he could have joined one of these Bns: 2nd ; 1/9th ; 10th ; 11th or 12th (this Bn landed in early July 1915 so he might have been a latecomer to that) You can find out which one from the original Medal Rolls which are filed at the National Archives at Kew.

At some time he chnged number to 74838 and the other number 3301546 seems to be a post-WW1 number. maybe an HLI expert will unravel the numbers for you.

Sotonmate

Guest barbbraswell102
Barbara

Welcome to the Forum !

You need to read the Card in the right sequence ! He served with the Inniskillings from 1901 to 1913 as No 6876. Probably time-served at that point and re-joined the Colours from Reserve in 1914 with the HLI. He first went overseas as 12430 (to France) during the Great War on 28.7.1915 (the date you have read as him leaving the Army?). He seems to have been in a reinforcement batch to France as no fresh Battalion of the HLI landed on27 July 1915. So he could have joined one of these Bns: 2nd ; 1/9th ; 10th ; 11th or 12th (this Bn landed in early July 1915 so he might have been a latecomer to that) You can find out which one from the original Medal Rolls which are filed at the National Archives at Kew.

At some time he chnged number to 74838 and the other number 3301546 seems to be a post-WW1 number. maybe an HLI expert will unravel the numbers for you.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

This is amazing! It certainly helps to be able to interpret the card properly! Thank you so much for your quick response. I also have noted from another site that it is important to visit the National Archives to see what may be on the rolls in reference to the medals. I appreciate your help and am going to practice reading another card!

Barbara