Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Raid on the 'Brickstacks', Givenchy Sector

At Home Dad

Hallo all

I wonder if anyone has information regarding which German unit launched a large

Trench Raid or small scale attack on the British held 'Brickstacks' near Givenchy on

January 30th and February 1st, 1916?

Many thanks for any assistance

Kind regards

'At Home Dad';

Hi. A suggestion; many people more knowledgable about the Hunnish side know less about place names, etc. on the other side. I confess that I have heard of Givenchy, but couldn't place it on a bet. The Germans often had different place names, and even had a different time system. So if you can supply more detail it might help people who could help.

I have already checked the date against a large spread-sheet that I have compliled, covering most German flame thrower attacks in 1914-1918, and it does not pop up. I assume Givency is not in the Champagne.

Early in 1916 the Germans were preparing for the attack at Verdun, but for that reason they were also making an effort to launch attacks and the like in other sectors in order to not create the impression that things were "too quiet". This attack might be part of that effort.

Bob Lembke

The brickstacks were not really at Givenchy(-les-la-Bassee), which is across the La Bassee Canal away from them. They were east of Cuinchy. Nearest place behind them on the German side was Auchy-les-Mines.

Bob or others may be able to confirm but I believe the 16th IR was still in place; it had been holding that front in September 1915.

I remember seeing a German photo of the brickstacks described as bei Violanes , which makes sense if looked at from the east.

Regards Peter

Thank you very much, all! Especially Chris for the place names and suggestion.

so potentially it's 16th Infantry Regt based somewhere close to Auchy-les-Mines

a most helpful start

all the best

Elliott