Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Uniform - Boer War or Gt.War

ronaldward

Fred Holling served as a gunner 1916-1918 but this recently discovered photo of him seems to show him as a much younger man and it is thought it was taken when he went to the Boer War as a medical orderly with the St.John Ambulance Brigade. The studio photo was taken at Aldershot and I wondered if he may have been issued with khaki uniform in place of the St.John's one. Anyone with ideas? Ron Ward.

post-41378-1272719007.jpg

I would say certainly an S.J.A.B. volunteer for the Boer War. He appears to have his S.J.A.B. badge on his right arm and this is accompanied by the Red Cross arm band on his left.

Yes Boer War, this looks like the Serge Jackets that were issued in South Africa from 1900 onwards.

Fred Holling served as a gunner 1916-1918 but this recently discovered photo of him seems to show him as a much younger man and it is thought it was taken when he went to the Boer War as a medical orderly with the St.Johns Ambulance Brigade. The studio photo was taken at Aldershot and I wondered if he may have been issued with khaki uniform in place of the St.Johns one. Anyone with ideas?

Just a couple of slight corrections there, St John, no s ;)

Just a couple of slight corrections there, St John, no s ;)

Thanks Andrew, have tidied it up. Ron

FYI

He is wearing what is may be referred to as the "Foreign Service Dress Jacket, Drab Serge Pattern 1899"

It was authorized in Aug of 1899

Thanks Andrew, have tidied it up. Ron

Thanks, something that was drummed into me when I was in the Young St. John Ambulance!

• 10 months later...

Fred served in SJAB as No 1715 and was posted to No 20 General Hospital. He was awarded the QSA medal with 3 clasps: Cape Colony, Orange Free State & Transvaal and the St John Medal. Do the medals survive? I'm compiling a listing of surviving medals and phhotograps of SJAB men who served in South Africa. May I add this photograph?