Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

German Army Doctor

DavoT

Good evening,

some recent acquisitions included this photo of a German Doctor taken in 1914 if I read the rear of the card correctly. Any help with regard to rank on his shoulder boards etc would be appreciated. He appears to be also wearing a sword.

post-27290-1272711750.jpg

Cheers,

David ;)

Paul

The caption looks to me like Dr. jur. Paul Hammer. This means, if I am right, that his doctorate was in law, rather than medicine - so no problem with the sword (not that I have seen his photo yet).

Jack

Edit. I have now. For some reason I either get the front, or the rear, but not both together.

Hi Jack,

had some editing hiccups but you should be able to view the photo now. A legal professional - that's interesting!

David

Not necessarily a practising lawyer, as Dr jur. was a popular higher qualification to acquire in those days, rather as an MBA is today.

A classic illustration of why one should not be photographed wearing a pince-nez ...

I think it highly probable (though it is an informed guess) that this man completed his military service as a one year volunteer, was recommended for a reserve commission at the end of it, did the training, took the exams and accepted a reserve commission in whatever regiment was local to him. In pre-war Germany there was considerable social value in following this course of action.

Jack

Hi Jack,

thanks for the input. It does makes sense though. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the German side but I have a number of such photo's of individuals and groups which does give a view from the other side of 'no man's land' so to speak. I've posted some and will do more soon too.

Cheers,

David ;)