Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

New Newfoundland Regiment website

ejcmartin

The gov't of Newfoundland and Labrador and "The Rooms" (the provincial museum) have produced a new website on the Newfoundland Regiment and the Great War

Quite the site. There is a list of all the soldiers with impressive downloadable files.

http://www.therooms.ca/regiment/part1_ente...e_great_war.asp

They've done a great job. :D I look forward to tracking all the soldiers who brought home war brides or fiancees. Their service records contain information, documents and letters about the marriages and transportation of these women to Newfoundland.

I think I am going to be spending quite some time on this excellent site............

Bruce

Looks great!

Look forward to exploring the site in relation to casualties 1/7/16.

Kindest regards

Chris.

Excellent website.

One of the chaps I've been interested in for several years led a very colourful life according to his service record - I don't think his mother would have been impressed!

Fascinating.

Fantastic resource - I have downloaded 98 pages just on Colonel William Franklin, originally Newfoundlanders, then CO 1/6 Warwicks.

Absolutely amazed just how much info is on this site well done to them ..

MC

How many Newfoundlanders were actually killed on the 1st July 1916. Are there any definitive figures?

Kindest regards.

Chris.

Congratulations to all those who put this wonderful site to-gether. Now the mystery of 500 Cpl J P Houlahan is solved.

Aye Rob

Indeed it is. The mystery was how Houlahan came to be buried in the Newfoundland Plot at Wandsworth (Earlsfield) Cemetery in 1925 - http://www.therooms.ca/regiment/soldier_fi...ck_rnr-0153.pdf

Having now looked at the records of several of the Newfoundlanders buried at Earlsfield, it's apparent that the bodies of a number of men who died in hospitals elsewhere in the south of England were brought to Earlsfield for burial in the Newfoundland Plot. A couple of men with dates of death in late July, early August 1917, who I had supposed must be casualties of the opening days of the Battle of the Somme have turned out to have been at the 3rd London General Hospital (Wandsworth) for some time and to have died of disease. Based on the small sample I've looked at so far, tuberculosis and syphilis seem to have been prevalent.

The records in the database are splendidly accessible in that the pages of the pdf files are scrollable, so you can move through the documents easily and rapidly (unlike, say, the Australian records, which have to be called up page by page), and most of the records of casualties who died in the UK seem to contain a quite detailed account of their funeral - often with instructions that it be sent to their NoK with a suggestion that they pass it on to their local newspaper.

En passant, and relevant to another recent thread about what Newfoundland and Newfoundlanders were called at that time, several record files contain a letter of sympathy from the Colonial Secretary, in which Newfoundland is referred to as 'the Colony'.

Once again, much credit to those who have created this absolutely splendid database.

post-11021-1272871914.jpg

As a "mainlander" living in Newfoundland I am always impressed on how Newfoundlanders keep remembrance alive. Last year we had a copy of Beaumont-Hamel memorial put up here in St. John's, the year before was a large display on Tommy Ricketts, VC, now this site, and soon an interpretive walk "the Trail of the Caribou".

Proud to be a Newfoundlander wanna be!

Was googling for info on my grandfather this evening and stumbled upon that list of pdf's. A great resource indeed.