Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

James Tait Noble 45530 H.L.I

lattimer

Hi I am wondering if someone could please help me. I am very new to researching my grandfathers military history and only have a few bits of information.

James Tait Noble

Date of Birth: 19th February 1899 at Fraserburgh

Medal Card Image Reference 230163/43417

M.C.I shows that he was in the H.L.I no. 45530 and also in the Scottish Rifles no. 42992.

It also shows that he was awarded the Victory Medal and the British Medal and was also awarded the Silver War Badge.

We also have a shooting medallion with the inscription 2/1 L.Y won by pte Noble 8-9-17.

According to family memories, he joined up on the 27-02-17 but don't know to which regiment.

We have no idea when he was wounded but the family say that he was mistaken for another soldier and was brought back to England hospitalised at the

Norfolk War Hospital Thorpe Norwich . When what was though was his next of kin came in to visit the mistake was realized. He was discharged from this

Hospital on the 25-2-19 and transfered to a military hospital near North Berwick, Scotland with a severe head wound. It is thought that he was in hospital

for a total of 2 years. He was discharged from the army on the 28-2-19 as no longer fit for duty.

We don't know if the 2 years in hospital was before his discharge date or whether it continued after.

I would be extremely grateful if anyone could help

Laura

other than the MIC on Ancestry can't see any other Army records for James Tait Noble. The MIC might say Sea(forth) Rifles?

Looking on the 1901 Scottish census for James Noble born 1899, two are returned in Fraserburgh. James Tait Noble and James Watt Noble. The latter appears to have died in 1919 after being wounded in 1918 :

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=326849

Related or possibly the "other soldiers family"?

Laura

Welcome to the Forum !

The two Regiments are HLI and Scottish Rifles (Cameronians). His medals and the Silver War Badge were issued by the latter Regt as it is where he was last serving before discharge,even though he probably became entitled to them as HLI.

You can learn a detail or two from the original Medal Rolls which are filed at the National Archives at Kew as follows:

British War and Victory Medals: Ledger WO329/1124 page 1791,this will give you the Battalion he served in on landing in a war theatre for the first time,and,

Silver War Badge: Ledger WO329/3034 List 1198,this will give you enlistment and discharge dates and reason for discharge.

Both of these items are not available online however,you either visit Kew or ask if anyone can copy them for you in our Look Ups section here.

I believe that the shooting Medallion was to do with the 2/1 Lanarkshire Yeomanry. It is likely that his first Regt was the first one shown on the Medal Card,the HLI.

When you have his Battalion you could find it's War Diary in the WO95 series at Kew and if it is digital you can buy a download from the NA Catalogue for 3.50.

I too have checked for service or pension record and found neither.

Sotonmate

Hi Johnny

Many thanks for your help. I think James Watt Noble will most probably be a relation as the Noble family lived in Fraserburgh since the 1750's. In fact, in the same street/house. Most were either fishermen or coopers.

Hi Sotonmate

Thank you very much for the information. Am I right in thinking the Time Line is as follows?

He Joins up to the HLI in 27-02-17 sometime before 8-09-17 he was transferred to the Lanarkshire Yeomanry then transferred to The Scottish Rifles.

I will do as you suggest and try the look up section and see if some kind person will look up the rolls for us.

Thank you both again for your speedy and helpful response.

best wishes

Laura

Laura

I doubt he transferred to the Lanarkshire Yeomanry,it would normally have been the other way. It might just be that there was an LY shooting competition open to other units in the vicinity,and your man's unit joined in ! If he had gone to the LY he would likely have had a different number which would probably appear on the Medal Card.

Sotonmate

Laura

I doubt he transferred to the Lanarkshire Yeomanry,it would normally have been the other way. It might just be that there was an LY shooting competition open to other units in the vicinity,and your man's unit joined in ! If he had gone to the LY he would likely have had a different number which would probably appear on the Medal Card.

Sotonmate

Many thanks again for your help. I have had a response with the SWB look up.

post-7206-1272728518.jpg

We can see from this his join up and discharge dates. was wondering if the Dep Scot Rifles stands for Deployed Scot Rifles?

Best wishes Laura

Laura

The Depot for the Scottish Rifles,as with other units,would have been a holding base for unfit soldiers prior to discharge (among other functions).

The number on the line you have posted is that of his issued Silver War Badge B253460,this is stamped on the back of the Badge.

Sotonmate