Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Honourable Artillery Company/Royal Field Artillery

martinclift

I am looking for information and if I am lucky, possibly war diaries for Honourable Artillery Company / Royal Field Artillery.

They both saw action on 16th June 1915 at Bellewaarde / Hooge.

I have found their casualties but, I would like to know the orders for the day and the summing up.

Many thanks

Martin

Hello Martin

The HAC consisted pre-war of two batteries of horse artillery and one infantry battalion. As with most of the Territorial Force, they were duplicated, the second unit being for home service only, but the original artillery batteries did not see service in France (they went to Egypt) so I assume that you are referring to the HAC Infantry Battalion.

This was sent to France and was attached throughout 1915 to 7th Infantry Brigade, 3rd Division. Its War Diary is at the National Archives at Kew in the following file:

WO 95/1415 1 Battalion Honorable Artillery Company 1914 Sept. - 1915 June

The RFA brigades forming part of 3rd Division also have War Diaries at Kew:

WO 95/1399 23 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1916 Dec.

WO 95/1399 30 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1916 Jan.

WO 95/1400 40 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1919 Feb.

WO 95/1401 42 Brigade Royal Field Artillery 1914 Aug. - 1919 Feb.

Ron

Martin,

There's a very good write-up in 'The Honourable Artillery Company in the Great War 1914-1919' edited by Maj G Goold Walker DSO, MC, and available as a recent reprint by N & M Press. This includes two narratives, one by the Col Treffry and another by "one of the rank and file." See pages 38-49. The 1st Battalion lost "over 200 killed and wounded, almost half the trench strength of the Battalion at the time."

regards

Michael