Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Engineers war diaries and special reports.

bierlijn

Hello Forum,

I am looking for a report on pill box, dugout and MG emplacements prepared by the 520th Field Coy. RE after a raid on 20th February 1917. I know the report exists, as a map extracted from it appears on p.31 of Peter Oldham's Pill Boxes on the Western Front.

Can anyone advise me on the best place to start? I can see the war diary in the catalogue of the National Archives. Would the same diary also be held at Royal Engineers Museum in Gillingham? I've also seen mention of an archive with war diaries at the Institution of Royal Engineers in Chatham. Is there just one single copy of a war diary?

As this was a special report, would it most likely be held as part of the war diary, or might it exist separately? I thought I'd best ask here rather than start bothering the institutions.

Thanks for any help...

Hugh

Hi Hugh

The RE Museum and Library do have an original duplicate copy of many of the War Diaries - I found my Grandfathers Field Coy at the RE Library at Gillingham. There were some pages missing but I found the complete one in the National Archives. I would check with the RE Museum first that they have a copy and then you will need to book in advance before visiting.

Hope this helps.

Denis

Hello Hugh

War Diaries were kept in duplicate. The top copy was sent off monthly to the Adjutant-General's Office and this is the set which is now at Kew. The duplicate copies were retaioned by the unit and many of these have found their way into regimental or Corps libraries such as the RE at Chatham/Gillingham.

War Diaries often contain copies of special orders or reports as appendices. You could try Chatham first as they may be able to find and photocopy the report for you, or you could visit either there or Kew.

Good hunting!

Ron

Hugh

I would recommend visiting the National Archives in the first instance. These are the original copies of the War Diaries and they contain original drawings, maps, diagrams ect, whereas the duplicate copies often only have the narrative of events. If that fails, then the RE Library should be the next port of call.

TR

Thanks very much everyone, for your quick replies. If the NA holds the top copies of the diaries, they are probably easier to read, which would be welcome. I'll report back if the 520th's dugout measuring exercise turned up any interesting information.

Hugh