Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

301st Stevedore Regiment - U.S. Army

bigamt

If I know that a soldier served in the 301st Stevedore Regiment, how do I find out in what Division, etc. this unit was? Is there a website or reference book that can give me that information?

Thank you.

Frieda

Freida,

You might have noticed that most of the info on this site relates to UK service history.

Someone might come along who can help you out but you might be better off researching on a US based WW1 site.

Good luck with your search.

If I know that a soldier served in the 301st Stevedore Regiment, how do I find out in what Division, etc. this unit was? Is there a website or reference book that can give me that information?

Thank you.

Frieda

Freida,

You might have noticed that most of the info on this site relates to UK service history.

Someone might come along who can help you out but you might be better off researching on a US based WW1 site.

Good luck with your search.

Do you have a recommendation?

Frieda

Frieda

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid I do not know if the Stevedore Regiments were assigned to Divisions but this was their organisation:

301st Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

302nd Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

303rd Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

304th Training Regiment - Newport News

305th Reserve Stevedore Regiment

The complement of the 301st, 302nd and 303rd Regiments was 127 Officers, 858 Enlisted Men (White) and 6121 Enlisted Men (Coloured) per regiment.

Aled

Frieda

Welcome to the Forum.

I'm afraid I do not know if the Stevedore Regiments were assigned to Divisions but this was their organisation:

301st Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

302nd Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

303rd Stevedore Regiment - served overseas

304th Training Regiment - Newport News

305th Reserve Stevedore Regiment

The complement of the 301st, 302nd and 303rd Regiments was 127 Officers, 858 Enlisted Men (White) and 6121 Enlisted Men (Coloured) per regiment.

Thank you - that's certainly more than I knew!

Frieda

Aled

Thank you.

Frieda

Hi Frieda. Welcome.

There may be some info here. http://www.gwpda.org/wwi-www/Scott/ScottTC.htm#contents

Check out Chapter XXII

Take a look at: "Willing Patriots: Men of Color in the First World War" by Robert J. Dalessandro and Gerald Torrence. It has lots of information about the Stevadore regiments in general and the 301st in particular. I do not think the Stevadore units were assigned directly to Divisions, but may have been in support of a Division for a certain purpose. They were created separately by the Quartermaster Corps, and most remained assigned to the Quartermaster Corps as part of the Service of Supply. Later, some were transferred to the Corps of Engineers and the Transportation Corps. Many of the units seem to have worked in the Ports, off-loading ships.

"The Quartermaster Corps in the Year 1917 in the World War" by Henry G. Sharpe also has background information on the creation of these units.

I hope that helps. Doc

Frieda

Under an authority dated September 16th, 1918 the 301st, 302nd and 303rd Stevedore Regiments were transferred from the Quartermaster Corps to the Transportation Corps. In effecting the reorganisation the regiments were reformed as follows:

301st formed the 801st to 806th Stevedore Battalions, Transportation Corps

302nd formed the 807th to 812th Stevedore Battalions, Transportation Corps

303rd formed the 813th to 815th Stevedore Battalions, Transportation Corps

Aled